need options for unmetered bandwidth

Point Red

Hi everyone.

I need everyone's option about unmetered bandwidth. Before I became the member of this forum, I thought majority of users prefered unmetered bandwidth; In fact, most of providers in my country, Japan, Provide unmetered bandwidth with shared 10/100Mbps circuit.

Well, What do you think of unmetered bandwidth with shared 100Mbps dedicated circuit?

Though my website is not popular yet so that 100 GB monthly bandwidth is more than enough for me, I still prefer to use unmetered bandwidth. I notice nowadays many web hosting services offer unlimited monthly transfer for as low as $5 a month.

Hi Webster,

You need to think about this a little more as un metered services are good but there could be some pit falls with this. Over selling bandwidth is a common practice with some web hosting services, if your hosting on a shared server with a lot of bandwidth hungry websites this will affect the loading performance of your site which could prevent surfers surfing your website. Im not saying here that you should not host with a unmetered hosting provider as there are many good companies that can provide this no problems.

Well, you know that unmetered is always taped. When I need bandwidth for any kind of projects I prefer to get a certain amount of quality bandwidth instead of going to shared unmetered.

I think I'd look for a provider with a guaranteed minimum if you rely on your site to produce revenue.

I know most of providers support unlimited plans of shared hosting.And some provide unmetered 100Mbps uplink ports.Unlimited and unmetered are two different things.

Last edited:
I don't like the hearing of Unmetered or Unlimited, It comes to me as the def of Over Selling Server. Its not good to go with companys that offer this because unmetered reallys means like don't watch or take care.

"Unlimited" bandwidth is not a reality, especially if the uplink is being shared amongst several users. Think about it this way, even if the uplink was not shared and you were able to use all of a 10 mpbs or 100 mbps line all of the time, there is still a limitation on how much can actually be sent through it. Granted, it's quite a bit on a 100 mpbs uplink.

Now take that and put 20 customers on the same uplink. That brings you down to about 5 mbps, if everyone is pushing max at the same time. Put another 30 customers on and you're down to 2 mpbs. Now not everyone on the uplink will be pushing max traffic all the time, but you get the idea. If you're told you have "unlimited" bandwidth within the limits of the hardware, you may want to find out what the hardware looks like and who is sharing it with you.

Now if you get a set amount of bandwidth each month, it likely means that the bandwidth has some value. You're only getting 1 TB per month because it's actually worth something. It's likely not being oversold and will provide you with the speed you're looking for. Just some things to keep in mind when looking at bandwidth.

I don't like the hearing of Unmetered or Unlimited, It comes to me as the def of Over Selling Server. Its not good to go with companys that offer this because unmetered reallys means like don't watch or take care.

Unmetered is very different than unlimited. With unmetered, you're capping the maximum data transfer rate to a specific speed and normally paying a fixed monthly charge payable at the beginning of a monthly cycle.

Unmeterred hosting companys are horrible. Your better off getting a non over sold plan. With those unmeterred hosts they will ban you once you start using too much space or bandwidth.

How much bandwidth do you actually need (how much are you using)? I think you will find that providers that offer unmetered bandwidth tend to be less reliable