never understaned why a lot hosting companys have bad support

Jonathanyates1

Why does so many hosting companys have bad support and there are useless
and people still use them.

<<MOD NOTE: 3.4 Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.>>

Modest much? Perhaps it is in your approach? Have you advertised anywhere? How have you advertised?

Jonathanyates1 said:
Why does so many hosting companys have bad support and there are useless
and people still use them.
I believe many companies that have bad support are those that are run by one person or due to lack of technical knowledge of staff or simply lack of care whatsoever (cases like aplus or CIHost).

Bigger companies are easier to recognize. But usually there is no way of knowing who you are signing up with unless an extensive research homework is made beforehand.

Best,

When looking for a hosting provider, you should always do research in forums like these. You have to make sure that you talk to people who have had experience with your host. Hosting companies who have bad support, in my opinion, are run by staff that are unmotivated and unknowledgeable in the hosting industry. However, it is not always the staff's fault. As always, you must choose your host wisely because if you choose the wrong host, then you could have a really awful experience.

You could always send the web host a couple of questions to test their knowledge before you sign up. :) That way at least you can be sure they have some idea of what they are doing...

I think customer support is a dying art form.

I have to agree with this. You see it in every industry. The people you are paying for a service seem to be a lot more openly rude, and uncaring. At least more than before.

I personally think it has a lot to do with society, and the generation that is now joining the work world. They grew up believing that you don't have to take people's crap, and have employed this ethic into their jobs. I have recognized this in many of the companies we deal with. One that comes to mind is Verizon.

When I called their broadband support, I already knew the issue, and was just hoping to call and get them to fix it (as it was on their end). The lady told me, that it was a Microsoft IE error (their favorite excuse). When I told her, that it was present in other browsers as well, and I already knew what needed fixed on their end. She told me "I don't care what you think you know...it is a Microsoft problem, and you need to call them." This came from a lady who obviously knew nothing about computers (with exception maybe of how to use one). She was a simple customer service rep, who Verizon gives the title "Tech Support" to.

While I too grew up believing that you don't have to take people's crap, I find that there is a different standard when it comes to customer service. I still don't think that a staff member should have to take abuse, but I feel that they should be more tolorent to the customer's concerns, and needs. Afterall, they are paying you for that very aspect of your service.

While my experience with CSR+Verizon wasn't like yours, I usually get someone who can at least tell me what I'm being charged - but usually I can't get refunded.

My monthly cell phone bill has not been the promised $80/month ONCE. Since June I've spent nearly 3 grand in cell phone bills alone. That's a running car. I will be dropping them in the spring. There is nothing that they can do to "fix the amounts". If a text or picture message is sent it seems 75% of the time it sends a "duplicate". Which means while I might buy a text package for 20 texts, I really only get about 10 total. This is not including when some that I receive duplicate, which means I get about 5 when all is said and done. Then I get overages and they just jacked up the price of pic/text overages.

As well some how my monthly plans have changed on their own 3 times, and not for the better. I've been charged disconnect fees when I wasn't disconnected ($15/line - that can add up) and picture/text packages have disappeared from my account and I was charged HEAVILY. *Sigh*

My work experience is from the industrial & manufacturing end of things. I was (before I became disabled) the COO of a rather large multi million dollar business in Toronto. A couple decades ago, in those industries, I threw out the concept that "the customer is always right". In fact most times they were not only wrong ... but idiots to boot :) I loved it when a huge multi-national would come out with "Do you know who we are??" .... I could give them a reality check by saying "Let me explain to you who you are to us .... " hahahaha

But I digress ....

In this industry (web hosting et al) I "momentarily" toyed with the idea of starting up a web hosting business a number of years ago. I am an admitted "techno idiot" ... I know practically nothing about servers or their software or hardware or nothing ... but I was still foolish enough to think I could maybe operate a web hosting business.

Verizon was the first company I contacted ... and quickly discarded as a prospect. Even with all my admitted technical ignorance ... after speaking with their Sales and their Tech Support ... I felt I was a virtual genius in comparison.

Sadly ... I gave up on the idea of operating my own business and settle for having a reseller account with established web hosts ... and provide free web space to a few friends. But the one thing I have found over the years ... most of the web hosts I have dealt with have extremely knowledgeable Tech Support staff ... but during those brief moments I again toy with the idea of having my own servers and opening a web hosting business ... I still find most companies I contact who specialize in hosting servers are staffed with less than knowledgeable personel.

Peter

P.S. Thinking about things ... and trying to remember ... I am not 100% sure now Verizon was the culprit in my reply. It may have been Verio?? I do remember at the time the company I spoke with was based out of Texas. So ... take it from there :smilie3:

Last edited:
I threw out the concept that "the customer is always right".

Holy cow! Someone who agrees with me!!!! lol

I live by the fact that customers are not always right. They cannot be in fact...they are human, and make mistakes. However, it's all in how you tell them they are wrong, that counts. Simply telling them how wrong they are, is not the way to go but, showing them what is right, must follow. Bringing, me to another philosophy I live by...."Never knock someone down, unless you're willing to help them back up."

EDIT:
I could give them a reality check by saying "Let me explain to you who you are to us .... " hahahaha

I just wanted to point out something in regard to this..... I love it...plain and simple.

When we did web development, we flew in a client, who criticized the fact that I came to the meeting in a T-shirt and shorts in OUR office. He began talking about my family, etc.. and commented "What kind of parents must you have, to teach you that dressing like in a meeting is appropriate?" I literally still have his tooth in a jar on my desk.

Last edited:
I would not look at customers as people who are either right or wrong. I would look at them as people to listen to. There are two things that make a company--it's employees and it's customers. Keeping both happy is a key to business success.

ANMMark said:
Holy cow! Someone who agrees with me!!!! lol

Hmmmm ... do you find that as strangely scarey as I do ?? hahahaha :)

I live by the fact that customers are not always right. They cannot be in fact...they are human, and make mistakes. However, it's all in how you tell them they are wrong, that counts. Simply telling them how wrong they are, is not the way to go but, showing them what is right, must follow. Bringing, me to another philosophy I live by...."Never knock someone down, unless you're willing to help them back up."

My response and how I responded to a customer was entirely dependent on how they approached me. They jump down my throat ... you can be certain I would jump down theirs harder & further. But I had the patience of Job with anyone who approached me civily

I could give them a reality check by saying "Let me explain to you who you are to us .... " hahahaha
I just wanted to point out something in regard to this..... I love it...plain and simple. <snipped> ... I literally still have his tooth in a jar on my desk

Lucky he hadn't encountered me and acted like that. Chances are I would of had a collection of them in a jar. But maybe I just have bigger fists ;)

Peter

Chances are I would of had a collection of them in a jar. But maybe I just have bigger fists

I might have had more but I only got one swing in, before a few of our staff members grabbed me.

BTW I don't recommend nor promote the same course of action. I had a hefty fine, and a court date because of it.

It really depends on the customer's attitude.
Unless a customer is threatening you, you should really take into consideration what they are saying--no matter how stupid it may seem. Customers of any business have a unique perspective on it that the employees might not have (unless they are customers of that business also).

I can agree with that. I think while listening however, when you know the customer's perception of an issue is inaccurate, you should never lead them to believe that they are, because while you're following the old saying "the customer is always right" theory, you're also lying to them.

It's better to teach.