New to building a site

mrdodgers

I am Trying to build a website for my friend but have no experience i have a idea but not to start. IF i could get some tips that would be great and also how do i start a virtual store? thank you Bill

(Thread moved to Website Development & Design.)

First off, welcome to HD!

If you'd like to learn HTML, I recommend going to W3Schools.

If not, you can search for templates. Some web hosting providers offer a website builder that will help you going.

When you say virtual store, do you mean an ecommerce site selling physical goods? If so, there are scripts like XCart or OSCommerce that can help you get started without having to know a server-side scripting language.

You can use WordPress to build the website weather you want to make a blog site or not. Also there are many webhosting providers which provide site builder as well, using this you may create you own site. :)

I agree with cableguy and webfreak08 too.

I agree with the others as well. Start with a Wordpress or similar template and work with it until you get the feel of html and CSS, then you should be able to move on to creating something more customized.

WordPress with PayPal integration is probably your best bet. There's a ton of online help available. :D

If building your own website was not something you could comfortably do now, a CMS (either Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress - a blog software, Mamboo or other CMS's) would be a great option. There are many e-commerce software available on the net, like OSCommerce or Zen Cart.

You could search for free web page templates and pick one you like. Download the free Alleycode HTML editor and add your content. If you need help with HTML, there is a link in Alleycode's help to w3schools.com.

Bill, I have an advice for you. I think you should buy some simple HTML/CSS template and start from there. You can get them as cheap as $15 and there are some really cute ones. Also, it's much simpler to alter something that is already done than to start things from scratch, especially when you are new to the whole thing. All the best.

I think that the best solution for you is Drupal with Ubercart. You have tons of help and later drupal is more programmer friendly.

Regards

Honestly if you dont have any experience designing websites you should probably design it with some software that comes with your hosting account. Most of them require no html skills at all. i would go down that route for now.

Have you ever tried Google blogspot? You can build and host a website more easier than wordpress. No need to know html, php or any other coding language. Just simple English is enough to design, mange and publish a website in Google blogspot. Thanks

Last edited:
You can look into buying a premade template from theme forest or template monster. It will save you the hassle of trying to learn html/css.

I am Trying to build a website for my friend but have no experience i have a idea but not to start. IF i could get some tips that would be great and also how do i start a virtual store? thank you Bill

So, did you manage to complete your website project Bill?