Order Verification

webline

This next question is for all the hosts out there or even those of you that are resellers. I'd be interested in learning what your order verification process is especially when people pay with a credit card. How do you validate this payment to minimize the risk of fraud?

I use maxmind and still use it. It works great and handles fraud pretty well. Since I've been using it, the number of fraud I've gotten has gone down to zero. I used to get about one a month, sometimes two but now nothing.

I use their phone verification service too. It came free with whmcs and not sure if whmcs still does that. The phone service I had to pay for it, but is super cheap. The regular verification was free with whmcs.

Add the FraudRecord Module if you are using WHMCS. It is quickly picking up in popularity. i have been able to identify several fraudulent/spam orders within a couple of minutes of signup.

We use MaxMind to detect fraud orders and we also verify each order manually since MaxMind can sometimes highlight some orders as high risk when they are not.

MaxMind or any effective fraud checker combined with manual verification should prevent all fraud orders, without losing legitimate/valid orders.

Maxmind is a great choice, I've been using it for years and it's integrated in most systems (ClientExec, WHMCS, OpenCart, etc).

Using MaxMind and works great for me. Incase someone uses credit card as a payment option when he has a high fraud score, we ask them to fill in the credit card authorization form and send us a copy of the frond part of their card.

MaxMind or any effective fraud checker combined with manual verification should prevent all fraud orders, without losing legitimate/valid orders.

That's the thing - I don't think ANY fraud checker can help in 100% of the cases. One is definitely needed but only as a part of the verification procedure. Nothing is yet to challenge the manual checks as the most efficient component in verification. MaxMind or FraudRecord can give you a good idea of the order and where you can possibly look for fraud, but can also miss something or flag completely clean orders. Your staff need to be trained how to easily detect fraud and have clear procedures of how to deal with it - immediately cancel order, call for phone verification, ask for additional ID documents etc. :rolleyes2

Maxmind, whois the domain, look at the clients address and compare, look at the history of the domain.

That's really about all you can do. With paypal it's generally less risky for small orders.

Bigger order you may want to telephone verify, if credit get a authorization form as Leapswitch has stated.

Some times it's tough, but I've configured max mind to stop most fraud orders, which so far I've only had 2 or 3 fail the fraud check and where legit customers, which they usually open a ticket and ask you about it, while non legit customers just go on about their business else where.

I believe most hosts use the built-in fraud verification system in the billing system (like WHMCS, HostBill). In addition, if they are using third party payment gateway like 2Checkout, they also have their internal fraud verification system.

In addition to this, it is worth to review the details submitted by the users while signing up. If you see any suspicious details, you can do phone verification or you can ask for some identity proof.

We let through only orders verified by phone.
But scammers get better and better every day, we had 2 chargebacks just last month. It hurts.

We let through only orders verified by phone.
But scammers get better and better every day, we had 2 chargebacks just last month. It hurts.

I know right! We do phone verification as well and if we still have some suspicion then we ask for additional documentation such as ID and copy of the card with the first few numbers blacked out and some people still manage

With using Maxmind and their telephone verification then we have very few fraud orders. for every VPS or dedicated server we sell we will always ask for photo ID etc. before the order is approved and activated.

I also use maxmind and still use it. It works great and handles fraud pretty well.
Since I've been using it, the number of fraud I've gotten has gone down to zero. I used to get about one a month, sometimes two but now nothing.

Sometimes customers don't tend to put the real details in and still want to purchase the item so they tend to get fed up but i guess maxmind is the best option to counter act fraud payment via credit card

I use their phone verification service too

With using Maxmind and their telephone verification then we have very few fraud orders. for every VPS or dedicated server we sell we will always ask for photo ID etc. before the order is approved and activated.

Boy, do i hate asking for scanned ID or a credit card. I few like it is putting people away.
It puts me away sometimes, especially when i don't feel like i am ordering something super secure or super special (like an online service, which web hosting is).
For dedi's it is also mandatory with us, for smaller orders we try to avoid it, only if the risk is very high.

Boy, do i hate asking for scanned ID or a credit card. I few like it is putting people away.
It puts me away sometimes, especially when i don't feel like i am ordering something super secure or super special (like an online service, which web hosting is).
For dedi's it is also mandatory with us, for smaller orders we try to avoid it, only if the risk is very high.

Its not nice asking, but i would rather ask than be faced with chargeback fees etc.

Well, exactly from such an online service like web hosting you have to expect maximum security for both you and your website. The verification procedures have become industry standards because many people found use of them and prevented more fraudulent transactions that one can imagine.

I do understand people that detest giving their ID, I'm a bit of a security freak myself, and its the responsibility of the host to justify those actions. After all, you can also hide most of your information from the ID. But my experience shows that a large percentage of people refusing to give their ID is simply because they are frauds and know they cannot pass this small "test". :rolleyes2