Outlook Express - Please Help

Christopher, I've had a similar error recently, but I solved it. Just to make sure if that is the case case, does it happen when you send single emails, too, or only when you send mass mailing? In that case, how many emails are you trying to send as once?

If you are sending mass mailings, before trying anything else, it is possible that your ISP is blocking outside e-mail servers so that you must use their outgoing e-mail servers. This is done by the ISP in an effort to block SPAM. MindSpring, AT&T and Videotron are known to be ISPs which do this. If your ISP does block outgoing e-mail servers you can use the Web Mail feature in your Cpanel to send/receive e-mail.

If you tried it all and you still get an error, then do this simple test. If you are using Windows, hit the START button and click on RUN. In the field, enter this:

telnet yourdomain.com 25

Observe the results. If you get your server information, then you can connect and problem is elsewhere.

However, if you cannot, then that means that your ISP has blocked it and is forcing you to send e-mails through their ISP's e-mail servers instead. That you cannot do anything about.

Btw, it would also be beneficial to see what the upstream provider limitations are in regard of mass mailing.

Best,

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am just trying to send one eMail to a customer, For some reason I have never been able to send eMails using Outlook Express on this server and my other mail server, yet when I was using windows 98 Outlook Express worked fine. I don't really want to use the web based mail system.

My host once tryed to fix the problem I could recieve incoming mail but could not send outgoing mail.

CMTHosting said:
Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am just trying to send one eMail to a customer, For some reason I have never been able to send eMails using Outlook Express on this server and my other mail server, yet when I was using windows 98 Outlook Express worked fine. I don't really want to use the web based mail system.

My host once tryed to fix the problem I could recieve incoming mail but could not send outgoing mail.

I went START then RUN and put in telnet cmthosting.net 25 a black box opend nothing else happend. :cry:

If a black box opens, I believe its fine.
I had a problem when I couldn't send mass mailing. In your case, that's something different. Try any of the following nevertheless:

1. The incoming mail server should be correctly typed.
Remedy: Go to Tools > Accounts > Mail > Properties > Servers. Change the incoming server (POP3) to whatever your pop3 server us

2. The POP3 account name should be typed correctly and The POP3 password typed correctly.
Remedy: Go to Tools > Accounts> Mail> Properties> Servers. Retype both the account name and the password.

3. It may be that POP3 is using the wrong port number:
Remedy: Go to Tools > Accounts> Mail> Properties> Advanced. Change the incoming server (POP3) port number to 110.

4. Check whether Outlook Express is trying to use SSL:
Remedy: Go to Tools > Accounts > Mail > Properties > Advanced. Uncheck the option to use Secure (SSL).

5. Outlook Express may be set up to use Secure Password Authentication.
Remedy : Go to Tools > Accounts... > Mail (tab at the top of the new window) > Double click on the e-mail account you set up > Click on Servers (tab at the top of the new window) > Put a check in the box that says "My server requires authentication".

6. Check whether mail servers are set correctly. (SMTP/POP3) If regular SMTP server doesn't work, you can also try using an IP address, if its dedicated.

7. Finally, just try using your ISP's outgoing SMTP server, instead of the one belonging to your hosting account.

Hope any of this would help.

Best,

Sending e-mail is done through port 25. There are many ISPs that block this to combat spam, as Art said.

An incomplete list of ISPs that block port 25 include...
AT&T, MindSpring, BellSouth, MSN, CableOne, NetZero, Charter, People PC, Comcast, ATTBI, Sprynet, Cox, Sympatico.ca, EarthLink, Verio, Flashnet, Verizon, and MediaOne.

After you press Start and then Run on Windows and enter "telnet://[emailserver]:25" (without quotes), you should receive a 220 response code.

Your host may be able to set up an SMTP server with different ports.

EDIT: Check out the following for more info.
http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

Last edited:
Have you contacted your web hosting provider about the issue recently?
Have you talked about creating a new port to send mail through?

If you cannot solve the issue through your web host (and do not want to search for a new provider), you may have to look into paid service. For example, I came across http://www.authsmtp.com/index.html.

I doubt you will want to pay to send e-mail, so I'd try and focus on working things out with your web host.

Chris, unfortunately I cannot do Remote Assistance for two reasons:
- I'm not a certified technician
- I barely know how to fix computer things. I just been using some of the research results I learnt when I tried to fix my mailing problem.

Is this a new ISP you are going through? Who is the ISP? Some will not allow you to use mail.yourdomain.com for the SMTP setting. Some insist that you send mail through their servers. You might want to contact them and ask what their SMTP setting is and try that.

Vito

As many have already stated, this could be an issue of your ISP blocking 3rd party mail servers, or port 25.

In addition, what your errors appears to be is that the server is setup where you must receive first (to authenticate yourself), before sending. This is becoming more common, to help avoid spam.