PayPal Scam Attempts

fliphost

For those of you using PayPal, watch out for the emails below

Your account has been limited until we hear from you - this has been coming from service @ memberverfied.paypal-center.com

Your Account Has Been Limited PayPal Case ID PP-658-119-347 - this one has been coming from - service @ paypa1.com

Make sure you do not give these people any information and block the sender

Matt

For those of you using PayPal, watch out for the emails below

Your account has been limited until we hear from you - this has been coming from service @ memberverfied.paypal-center.com

Your Account Has Been Limited PayPal Case ID PP-658-119-347 - this one has been coming from - service @ paypa1.com

Make sure you do not give these people any information and block the sender

Matt

simple tell tale sign is dont click the link in these but scroll over it and you should see the link URL displayed in the lower left of your screen. Also the email they send the spam too will most likely not be your registered paypal email address.

what i do is get the email header and report the email to spamcop and spoof@paypal.com

Last edited:
simple tell tale sign is dont click the link in these but scroll over it and you should see the link URL displayed in the lower left of your screen. Also the email they send the spam too will most likely not be your registered paypal email address.

what i do is get the email header and report the email to spamcop and spoof@paypal.com

These came through the ticketing system to billing through our paypal email address.

The rule of thumb with emails from financial institutions and merchants is that the REAL company message will always include your first and last name as a greeting.

Verifying the URL when you hover over it doesn't hurt either.

Also financial institutions wont contact you through your ticket stystem.

but even if you get an email never open any links, also go direct to the financial institutions website and go through your own online account with them.

I received such emails, too, but the first thing was to delete it. Then , as it was already mentioned above, I went to my account directly from the PayPal's home page and checked out if it was anything of the matter.

I would always recommend creating bookmarks of all your financial institution's login pages, so your browser will autocomplete the URL and you can avoid misstyping any of the URLs and accidentally hitting a phishing site.

I also recommend _never_ clicking links in emails, especially since "paypa1.com" at a glance and when you're tired looks like "paypal.com" - and instead using your bookmarks.

Of course this hinges on the fact that you are the only one with access to your computer, otherwise someone could change the URLs of your bookmarks ;)

In any case, at least typing out the URL is better than clicking a link, to be on the safe side.

thats why I stated

if you get an email never open any links, also go direct to the financial institutions website and go through your own online account with them.

also check the financial institutions website for their contact email for these types of emails and forward to them with full headers.

I am amazed at how many of my bank accounts are about to be suspended/closed with banks where i dont have accounts with.

Yeah those are all old. I have been getting those for years.

I think I might have gotten one as well that says my account has been locked and please click here to restore access.

The source code and links are all fakes. It is scary to think anyone would fall for those.

The source code and links are all fakes.

True

It is scary to think anyone would fall for those.

Well as you say these have been going around for years, so people must fall for these to make it profitable for these fraudsters just like the telephone calls from various companies saying they have detected your computer has a virus, if they were not making money from these then they would have given up.

I dont know if paypal has tooked an action regarding this matter, but it seems that when you visit paypa1.com , and paypal-center.com -- It redirects to paypal.com ( the legit site )

I dont know if paypal has tooked an action regarding this matter, but it seems that when you visit paypa1.com , and paypal-center.com -- It redirects to paypal.com ( the legit site )

Yes it looks like these domains have been around for a while but are now in the hands of ebay

http://whois.domaintools.com/paypa1.com
Created on..............: 2000-10-20.
Expires on..............: 2013-10-20.
Record last updated on..: 2012-09-19.

http://whois.domaintools.com/paypal-center.com
Created on..............: 2008-03-07.
Expires on..............: 2013-03-07.
Record last updated on..: 2012-02-04.

these types of scam have been around for years and guess why. PEOPLE DO FALL FOR THESE