price freeze guarantee?

Daisy

Do all hosts have price freeze guarantee (A customer will never pay more for his/her package, than the price he/she signed up for)?

I bought my hosting with 3 different companies in the past and they all had this. Now i'm with a hosting company and i've just received an email about money increase including quotes like "if you wish to pay 6 or 12 months in advance now you can pay it at the old rates. You will be charged at the new rates upon your next invoice." and that "There are no price changes for Reseller Plans or Dedicated Servers". I'm on a shared server. If i stay with them, next time they will increase the price and i will have to pay more...

I think i should have asked this before signing up with a host. I thought all hosts would have this and i wouldn't have to ask about it...

Damn it, i thought this would be my last host. :cry:

Daisy,

That is completely wrong of any host to change the rate on your plan if they did not mention at the beginning that this was only intro price. The hosting company should stand by the rate that you signed up with. Good luck with your situation.

qchco said:
That is completely wrong of any host to change the rate on your plan if they did not mention at the beginning that this was only intro price.

Intro price? I don't think i saw anything like that when i first signed up with them.

I thought all hosts would have this and i wouldn't have to ask about it...
Personally I am against price freeze guarantees. No, not all hosts offer such a thing. The ones that do, state so. The ones that don't, don't mention it.

ldcdc said:
Personally I am against price freeze guarantees. No, not all hosts offer such a thing. The ones that do, state so. The ones that don't, don't mention it.

So you think it is ok for the hosts to keep increasing the price while customers keep paying with the new price?

It depends.Are you getting more disk space or bandwidth (or anything else)? Then perhaps a price increase makes sense. If you're not getting more resources, or prices aren't increasing across the board, or SOMETHING else, it seems a little odd.

It seems like they're keeping the old price structure for folks who prepay, but not monthly folks - correct? Are these "new" prices reflected on their site, or was this a limited-time price?

If this was a limited time price, but the time limitation isn't VERY clearly marked, I'd personally be pretty peeved if that happened to me.

Lesli said:
It depends.Are you getting more disk space or bandwidth (or anything else)? Then perhaps a price increase makes sense. If you're not getting more resources, or prices aren't increasing across the board, or SOMETHING else, it seems a little odd.

It seems like they're keeping the old price structure for folks who prepay, but not monthly folks - correct? Are these "new" prices reflected on their site, or was this a limited-time price?

If this was a limited time price, but the time limitation isn't VERY clearly marked, I'd personally be pretty peeved if that happened to me.

They changed the prices of all shared plans. Amounts of space and bandwidth for each shared plan are still the same. I paid semi-annually so i will have to pay with the new price for the next invoice.

I offered this with all of the companies that owned. I think that the company that you have hosting with sould let all of the old clients keep the same price.

So you think it is ok for the hosts to keep increasing the price while customers keep paying with the new price?
It is just as OK as it is for them to lower prices. :)

In all industries, if a company can no longer survive with the prices they use, then they must cut costs and/or increase the prices. Hosting is no different. The customer obviously has the option of continuing to use them or switch to another provider.

Last edited:
Yes it is always good to low prices, i do agree that you some times need to raise prices but i think that you sould wait till your old clients have to renew there cotarcts if any to do it.

Sometimes there is nothing a host can do, For instance the hosts provider may impose a price increase or something might have caused the host to have no choice than to increase prices (Maybe a unforeseen cost)
Is it a big price increase?
Remember there is an inflation rate in more or less everything.
Regards,

qchco said:
Daisy,

That is completely wrong of any host to change the rate on your plan if they did not mention at the beginning that this was only intro price. The hosting company should stand by the rate that you signed up with. Good luck with your situation.
This is not completely wrong of any host. If anything its completely right to prevent the company from going out of business. Obviously the company looked at their revenues and seen they probably were not making enough therefore had to increase the prices.

jmweb said:
This is not completely wrong of any host. If anything its completely right to prevent the company from going out of business. Obviously the company looked at their revenues and seen they probably were not making enough therefore had to increase the prices.
That's precisely my point, Sometimes companies don't have a choice but to impose a price increase, Daisy could you tell us how much the increase actually is?
Regards,

And other times it could be obvious. I.E. If you buy a package thats sold at too good to be true rates on the company notices in advance that they aren't going to be in business long, they'll increase the prices of the current customers.

We certainly do not have a price freeze. There are several things that you must take into consideration. Personally, I feel as if a hosting company should be run like any other businesses. Wal-Mart, Meijers, Krogers, and Rogers do not run like a cheapy.

Like stated before sometimes there is nothing you can do you need to raise prices. Or, you need to lower them.

However, I would not leave a hosting company do to this.