Pricing page layout of hosting providers

DdTh17

Hey guys I am wondering about your opinion on one thing. I have spent countless hours of research over the years searching for various hosting services and every provider has a different pricing layout on their webpage.

Some have a simple layouts where you choose the main components and order the service, some have complicated processes of choosing every single component separately (CPU, RAM, Storage, Raid, Management, IPs............), each component has 50 different options and it takes ages before you actually get to the check out page.

From an UX point of view, do you prefer to have the pricing as detailed as possible to be able to choose precisely, or do you prefer a simpler layout, complete the order as soon as possible and sort out the rest over email?

Often it just seems extremely overcomplicated, what do you think?

Totally depends on ones needs. Just need a quick server? Simple pricing will do. Don't want to pay for 50 GB storage when you only need 10 GB but need the 4 GB ram only offered in the 50 GB package? Custom pricing will work wonders.

If you are planning on launching a web host and are wondering what is best for your own brand, why not offer both? We do and it works wonders for us.

Have the standard pre-made packages but for those that want to customize, you offer the option. It keeps things simplified overall and accommodates everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
That us why i purchased the Configurable Packages addon from WHMCS, so buyers can chose their own resources

Yeah, a good addon to achieve this. With it you can also do it exactly like the demo I linked to above which is essentially the same system (hotlinking specific options in the config to pre-set them.

It really depends on who your target market is. If you run a DC and target dedicated clients that may be reselling hosting or CTO/SysAdmins running company sites you tend to get more requests for customized configurations, so having those options on the order form can really help simplify the process. If your target market is more on the managed side it tends to be easier to list pre-defined plans.

If I'm shopping for a server to fulfill my specific hosting requirements, I want the option to configure the server as I want it, rather go with a pre-configured package. I do think they serve a unique buying base though.

I think hosting companies should keep both options, keep pre-configured servers along with another option for custom servers where users can configure their own servers as per their requirements

User Experience Is More Than Design, It's Strategy. I would suggest you to display as many components and information as possible for the clients to see on the pages that way they don't need to raise a ticket / initiate a chat to ask sales folks about what they are actually looking for.

I like simple layouts. Some customers may come first to check the prices and if they are having a hard time, they will just quit and leave.

I prefer detailed explanation of the services, because often the most important stuff is little hidden on purpose :) I want to know exactly what i am paying for.

I prefer a simple and clear plan. The less time I spend ordering servers, the more time I spend making money.

Everything has to be very simple and clear at once. I do not like anything difficult to manage because it is wasting my time.

Simple layout is always best. Some customers only want to know the price, space, bandwidth and high level software they are getting. More experienced customers will ask if they require more information