Private registration?

Westpoint

Did you register the domain name for your business website under private registration? While it's good to protect your identity and privacy, I think it could be frowned upon by your potential customers.

Did you register the domain name for your business website under private registration? While it's good to protect your identity and privacy, I think it could be frowned upon by your potential customers.

It is a very bad/negative thing to hid your ID etc. in a whois as to a potential customer they would think 'what are you hiding'

No way would I do something like this for any business that depends on the public trusting me. I do just the opposite. I try to find new ways to expose my information to the public.

No way would I do something like this for any business that depends on the public trusting me. I do just the opposite. I try to find new ways to expose my information to the public.

I think Nominet have the right idea and that is if you register a .uk domain and register it under a business then you cannot hide your details.
Also in the UK, any UK based websites MUST display their full contact details that can be easily seem by any visitors to the site.

It is a very bad/negative thing to hid your ID etc. in a whois as to a potential customer they would think 'what are you hiding'

Agreed.. I would wonder the same, myself... As a business, you have a responsibility to your consumers, and you must have your business information readily available for anyone to see at all times. Only personal website owners should use private WHOIS (family sites, personal blogs, private site, ect..). If you sell anything, your info should be public at all times. :thumbup:

Only in very few special occasions will this not apply.. (For example: political sites, adult related)

Last edited:
Did you register the domain name for your business website under private registration?
No real "business" would want to hide away from potential customers.

WHOIS "protection" is largely used by scammers, spammers, and end-users who mistakenly believe it'll magically stop spammers and scammers.

No real "business" would want to hide away from potential customers.

WHOIS "protection" is largely used by scammers, spammers, and end-users who mistakenly believe it'll magically stop spammers and scammers.

Yes, I agree with you. If you are serious with your business, you wouldn't want to hide your identity from people. You would have more and more people know about you.

Simple rule of thumb I use when checking out a business - if they are a credible business, I will find the info through WHOIS, the Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau or all three.

Simple rule of thumb I use when checking out a business - if they are a credible business, I will find the info through WHOIS, the Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau or all three.

so every online business in your eyes is in the USA/Canada.

Better Business Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce will be fine for USA and Canadian businesses, but their again not all businesses will by registered with these organisations

Businesses everywhere use privacy protection..It isn't a bad thing.. If you're trying to sell the domain it may look bad and probably won't help you sell it at all..But, if you have the name developed and are using it with no intentions on selling privacy protection is fine. Just IMO