Problem with cPanel?

Moni-Q

Hi,

It seems like resellers are able to change their plan themselves. To
test things, one of my customers tried to change his plan to a higher plan and it worked. Within seconds, he received this email:

+===================================+
| Upgrade/Downgrade Account Info |
| Domain: xxxxxxxx.net
| Ip: n ()
| New Plan: Reseller Plan 1
| Old Plan: Mini Reseller Plan
Account was setup by: xxxxxx

Is it that we have set up something incorrectly in the reseller priveledges? Or is this a cPanel problem?

What I want is for them only to have access to the packages they
create. Right now, all the plans show up in customers' drop-down menu. I wouldn't want the reseller to be able to change the quota of his/her own reseller account. Any suggestions?

Don't give ownership of the main account to the client. You can also set the "Reseller" space/bandwidth when you create the Reseller account.

it seems as though you have it setup (this is not the default), to grant ownership of each reseller's account, to that respective reseller.

For example, if I had a reseller account with you, WHM's default setting would set you as the owner of that account. However, it appears as though a setting in your WHM reseller center is set so that it would give me ownership.

Have you checked with other resellers, or actually setup a test reseller account of your own, to see if you have access to do this as well, through the test account?

I wanted to add something, to help you along.

1. Go into the reseller center and make sure that ALL features are not checked.

If all features are checked, you have basically just given the reseller, root access.

2. Make sure to enable "Disallow creation of accounts with packages that are not global or not owned by this user" with the check box

ANMMark said:
I wanted to add something, to help you along.

1. Go into the reseller center and make sure that ALL features are not checked.

If all features are checked, you have basically just given the reseller, root access.

2. Make sure to enable "Disallow creation of accounts with packages that are not global or not owned by this user" with the check box

Hi,

The reseller priveledges in Reseller Center had been set correctly. It turns out that the real problem was me setting them as owner of their own accounts (as you both had mentioned).

Thanks ANMMark and Christopher.

To my knowledge, giving them ownership over their own cPanel account does not in fact allow them to modify their own reseller WHM disk space or bandwidth transfer quotas; it instead only grants them access to change their own cPanel account's disk space and bandwidth transfer quota. So you should be safe granting them ownership over their cPanel account as that is what it pertains to.

I hope this helps you better understand how cPanel and WHM work. :)

ANMMark said:
Root...it's the same account. Therefore it changes both.
Specifically with cPanel and WHM, there are separate disk quota and bandwidth limits; one for the reseller WHM which covers all of their owned accounts and then one for their cPanel account itself which is included within the reseller WHM disk quota and bandwidth limit.

cats-hosting said:
Why is it seperate from the resellers limits if they "host" their own account?
Because their own cPanel account is not the reseller WHM account.

Root user/administrator controls their reseller WHM limits, and within that they are by default allowed to change their own cPanel account limits because it's all within their reseller limits.

cPanel "client" accounts live within the limits assigned to them by the parent reseller in WHM.

WHM is for resellers to manage all of their cPanel accounts, while still staying in the limits assigned to them.

When granting/editing reseller's Account Creation limits (in reference to cPanel account creations) and permissions in WHM, you would want to make sure and select/enable the checkbox for this option:
"Limit Accounts that <insert username here> can create by Resource Usage."

I already know that :)

Its just in your above post it seemed to me you were saying that their own website doesn't count towards their reseller limits.

This is entirely possible of course, if the host sets up their account to be owned by them, instead of owned by the reseller.

cats-hosting said:
I already know that :)

Its just in your above post it seemed to me you were saying that their own website doesn't count towards their reseller limits.

This is entirely possible of course, if the host sets up their account to be owned by them, instead of owned by the reseller.
:eek: Eek, that certainly was not my intended meaning. I'm sorry if I caused any confusion.

I was meaning to say that letting them modify their main cPanel account limits, would not modify the WHM reseller account limits, but that the cPanel account disk and bandwidth usage is counted for within their WHM reseller account usage if they are granted ownership over it. :)

A CPanel reseller is setup with ONE account.

For example:
They purchase say 10gb space, etc. Their account takes some of that space. The space they purchase is divided up among their customers.

If they own their own account, they can literally open WHM and edit their own package. Since this would be their only package (CPanel does not create two for a reseller), this would also change what they can offer to their clients. In fact, this is within CPanel docs.