Propagation Times for DNS settings

LPTechs

Alot of times you change any DNS records and wonder why things are not working right away.

Many records you change have a thing called "propagation time." Below we have provided a list of common propagation times for DNS records and nameserver changes.

Nameserver changes - 24/48 hours to propagate

A/AAAA record changes - 4-6 hours to propagate

MX (Mail) record changes - 4-6 hours to propagate

CNAME record changes - 4-6 hours to propagate

TXT record changes - 0-30min to propagate

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to expedite the propagation time. Once the change is made, we must give the proper time for changes to be made.

You can check the progress of the changes by using a DNS checker website like centralops.net or https://dnstrails.com/

That's true, we can not speed-up the domain propagation process. Also we can not say exactly how much time it will require. Sometimes DNS used to propagate within few hours, sometimes it really takes a day or two.

If you google it then you will see it usually states 'upto 72 hrs', but normally within a couple of hrs.

What i tend to do is migrate account to new server and then on new server just above <head> i will write new server

Then i will change nameservers etc. at registrar and then just wait until my site appears with the works 'new server' at the top. once this appears i know it has propagated and can remove the account from the old server

A quick tip on changing web hosts and nameserver information;
If you reduce the TTL to 300 seconds (5 minutes), this will allow a very quick transfer for EVERYONE.

Essentially, most people have a time of 14,400 to 86,400 (4 hours to 24 hours) - time is written in Seconds.

If you set it to 300 seconds, then Time To Live will be at 5 minutes, and that forces DNS requests to happen for everyone.

We usually set a TTL to 300 seconds 48 hours before a server transfer, then once transferred, bring the TTL back to 14400 or higher.

@easyhostmedia - rather than showing the text on the browser, you can set a <!-- comment --> in the code, that way the public doesn't see anything, and you can still check it. Alternatively, uploading a dummy file for testing to see when it resolves.

A quick tip on changing web hosts and nameserver information;
If you reduce the TTL to 300 seconds (5 minutes), this will allow a very quick transfer for EVERYONE.

Essentially, most people have a time of 14,400 to 86,400 (4 hours to 24 hours) - time is written in Seconds.

If you set it to 300 seconds, then Time To Live will be at 5 minutes, and that forces DNS requests to happen for everyone.

We usually set a TTL to 300 seconds 48 hours before a server transfer, then once transferred, bring the TTL back to 14400 or higher.

I just keep the TTL to the default 3,600 seconds

@easyhostmedia - rather than showing the text on the browser, you can set a <!-- comment --> in the code, that way the public doesn't see anything, and you can still check it. Alternatively, uploading a dummy file for testing to see when it resolves.
various ways of doing this

I think it is a maximum time for update. Some times it can update with in a hour and there are many websites where you can check if information is updated or not.