Protection from WhoIs domain lookup?

tobie

I'm new to this, I haven't published my webpage yet and I'm just being careful not to give my information over the net. My concern is on the WhoIs domain lookup. It shows every domain name registered, its owner, location, IP address, years or months active, and its contact number/s. How do I protect my details from WhoIs?

You can buy domain protection from your registrar if you like but if someone really wants to find out the owner of a site they will.

Blue is correct about people being able to find out no matter what.

But if your domain is already registered without privacy it becomes even more trivial since there are many whois history services which will have the information cached anyway.

Contact the company you registered the domain name with and ask them about whois privacy. Most of them offer it as an add on service. It will wipe out that information and be replaced with generic information about the registrar.

Blue is correct about people being able to find out no matter what.

But if your domain is already registered without privacy it becomes even more trivial since there are many whois history services which will have the information cached anyway.
Even with privacy enabled now, if someone wants to research your site, they can find out.

Yes, echoing what people have already said, private registration is standard with most hosts. Some charge for it, and some include it for free. The problem is that you've got to check the TOS. Some registrars, like Go Daddy, will remove the privacy service if someone files a UDRP complaint, and if for some reason you should get important legal papers sent to the address listed, there may be a delay between the time it's sent and the host forwards it to you.

What I would personally recommend is getting a Google Voice number (free, if you know someone with invites), and a PO box/UPS store box. This will allow you a legal way to make a WHOIS entry, without giving up your private info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting