PTR record

YoYoC

Hey, guys
What does "PTR record" mean? Does it has any relation with rDNS?
Please tell me, your opinion would be appreciated.

A PTR record resolves an IP address to a hostname. This is primarily an RDNS thing. In fact, it's precisely that.

These are used for looking up an IP address and determing what exactly it is.

For example, try to do an nslookup on 127.0.0.1 . The hostname is going to return as localhost. This answer is supplied by the PTR record.

A bit better explanation from DNS Made Easy

PTR records are opposite to records, where records point to domain name Or hostname to an IP address and PTR record resolves IP addresses to Domain name Or hostname. this is also known as RDNS records.

PTR is a reverse of an A record. As you know an A record directs a domain/hostname to an IP address. The reverse of that would be point an IP address to a domain/hostname and that is PTR. As whmcsguru accurately put it, Its rDNS technically.

Hey, guys
What does "PTR record" mean? Does it has any relation with rDNS?
Please tell me, your opinion would be appreciated.

PTR records are used for the reverse DNS (rDNS) lookup.
For example: domain.com 192.168.1.65 -->> rDNS will be domain.com 65.1.168.192
The usage of a rDNS/PTR record setup is a good solution for mail service and MX record.

A PTR record resolves an IP address to a hostname. This is primarily an RDNS thing. In fact, it's precisely that.

These are used for looking up an IP address and determing what exactly it is.

For example, try to do an nslookup on 127.0.0.1 . The hostname is going to return as localhost. This answer is supplied by the PTR record.

A bit better explanation from DNS Made Easy

Thank you for your explanation, I think I know more about it.

PTR records are used for the reverse DNS (rDNS) lookup.
For example: domain.com 192.168.1.65 -->> rDNS will be domain.com 65.1.168.192
The usage of a rDNS/PTR record setup is a good solution for mail service and MX record.

Thanks for your explanation, it's helpful.

You can think of the PTR record as an opposite of the A record. While the A record points a domain name to an IP address, the PTR record resolves the IP address to a domain/hostname. PTR records are used for the reverse DNS (Domain Name System) lookup.

As explained earlier. It's basically a hostname for your mailserver. The PTR record should match the record on your server to have a match and for your e-mail to be delivered to your recipient.

DNS is forward, rDNS is reverse.

DNS is like a phone book - names into numbers.
rDNS is like a reverse phone book - numbers into names.

rDNS is the system while PTR is the record. Just like DNS is the system and an A record is the record.

So PTR is not rDNS - but it is a record an rDNS record just like an A record is not DNS itself but it is a DNS record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting