Quad core processors ? Really doing well?

engineerroy2008

I would like to know that the introduction of quad core processors in hosting changed anything ?

I am still seeing that most of the companies are offering Celeron to Pentium, what is the market share of the Quad core processors?

Any of the members using Quad Core processors? How is performance comparatively.

We started using Quad Cores with all our newer servers in November and love what it has done for us. We're seeing more power avaialble for the users but we didn't increase the number of accounts on the servers (so that plays a big part).

Pentium and Celeron will still be offered as many people want a cheap server to get into the field. Personally, I'd not use a Celeron for anything other than a DNS server or a testing machine.

I don't buy anything now unless it's QuadCore. Pricing is almost the same between a QuadCore and a DualCore with the extra memory needed to compete on the same level.

We've recently been playing with a Dual CPU Quad Core system. (Two Xeon 5400 Quad Core CPUs).

Talk about power!! It was needed for a large ecomerce site that we've been dealing with to allow faster database indexing and searching. We're also running RAID 50 on the machine and 32GB memory. Need power? It's got it! ;) Not cheap, but when the client says "i need" rather than "i want" - you do what's necessary.

We've recently been playing with a Dual CPU Quad Core system. (Two Xeon 5400 Quad Core CPUs).

Talk about power!! It was needed for a large ecomerce site that we've been dealing with to allow faster database indexing and searching. We're also running RAID 50 on the machine and 32GB memory. Need power? It's got it! ;) Not cheap, but when the client says "i need" rather than "i want" - you do what's necessary.

o baby, that's one hell of a machine right there. that website must be huge .

INSANE is what I think every time the customer opens a ticket with us ;) He went from having just over 300,000 products in his online store to over 750,000 products. SOOooooo much traffic. For a while he was running two load balanced machines and a separate machine for database, but now has the database on this beast.

I'd love to take this machine and turn it into a 3d rendering machine or a heck of a gaming system ;) Maybe if they cancel and I'm left holding the hardware, but I don't think that'll happen any time soon. :)

I assume your referring to intel and not amd?
I guess it's because the quad core processors cost to much that barely any hosting companies have em.
But the processors are pretty neat

Oh yeah dual quads are very nice great for very intensive tasks...

Not played with AMD for a while but I would still use them if a customer requested one...

I would like to know that the introduction of quad core processors in hosting changed anything ?

I am still seeing that most of the companies are offering Celeron to Pentium, what is the market share of the Quad core processors?

Any of the members using Quad Core processors? How is performance comparatively.

You know what they say 2 brains our better then one.

There is no doubt that it has. Its has allowed us to double the processing capabilities easily for our servers.

Now you can find such for quad core processor (dedicated servers) for around $99/month with alot of features. Need help looking.. let me know ;-)

Currently running dual quad core. Can probably fit 3x the amount of clients on one server than I could 9 months ago.

i personally use a dual quad core xeon and swear by it, i have a similar home server for a (using the technical terms) "Bricks" business, they offer good performance if you dont bogg the processor down, and with cPanel accelerated the performance is great.

pricing often isent to bad although now i7 servers are comming avalible as the prices come down as will dual quad cores as they are replaced...

it will be interesting to see if the i7 or the dual quad will be cheaper or similar soon, one can only hope hey? :D

i7's beat an Intel Core 2 Quad on price for sure (mid-range cpu). It'll be a while before we start to offer them here, but from a memory standpoint alone, the i7's look very promising! Bye Bye FSB ;)

In terms of comparing raw performance on various processors, I recently found the site cpubenchmark.net. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this site and knows if the CPUMark and PassMark numbers are trustworthy.

Ive found the quad core processors are the best for the value, i can pack most shared quad core box's with at least 1500-2100 accounts depending on hdd configs.

Dedicated server customers seem to be taking to the quad-core processors well. They are very affordable in regards to price compared tot he dual-core setups.

I am running a quad-core with 4 gb on my desktop I'm typing this from. Our servers are quad-core too.

Quad cores are good value I must admit, not too sure on the I7’s just yet after road testing them a bit more that might change but who knows.

That said to match the performance of my current rig with an I7 would be costly (dual quad core (4GHz x8) with 16gb ddr3) so I’m not yet sold. Although that may change as the prices come down and the over clocking attempts go up :devil: