Quantity vs. Quality

Zagor

Someone once said that quantity of content and sites, in general, is much more important for marketing than quality of content. Although certain level of quality is a must. But you don't have to deliver top notch content all the time as long as your production is up and running fast. What do you think about this?

Well, this depends. Sure, if you have like 15 sites up and running, all selling different things, you're bound to come across someone who will be interested in what you're trying to sell.

For me though, the website needs to be top notch in design, or I just won't trust them. There are so many scam websites that all have the same template and have awful use of colors and schemes. I avoid those at all costs. While it's better to have two decent sites than one professional one, just make sure your definition of decent won't be a turn off to the people that end up poking around. ;)

Well, this depends. Sure, if you have like 15 sites up and running, all selling different things, you're bound to come across someone who will be interested in what you're trying to sell.

For me though, the website needs to be top notch in design, or I just won't trust them. There are so many scam websites that all have the same template and have awful use of colors and schemes. I avoid those at all costs. While it's better to have two decent sites than one professional one, just make sure your definition of decent won't be a turn off to the people that end up poking around. ;)

I agree with you in every single point. When I get on a site with a boring, ugly or badly constructed web site, I simply walk away. For me, quality IS the most important thing: in content, service, design, etc

I can speak at least for blogs. Quality is determined by relevance. It does not have to be meaty. It just has to be relevant. Then, make regular posts consistently. Quantity isn't about volume, but consistency. If you say you're posting 3x/week, then post 3x/week, week in and week out.

I think there must be a perfect balance between quality and quantity. I used to promise myself to write and post only quality posts on my blog, and I ended up never updating it.

Hi sherwood, you have an absolutely valid point. The desire to "always" come up with "quality" post can paralyze you. Sometimes, a simple quote about the most recent news that is relevant to the blog and a question, "what do you think, folks? I'll write more about what I think in the next post" are enough to constitute a post on the day you promised to come out with a post.

If you're looking simply for traffic, then content counts heavily, but if you're looking for conversions, quality tips the scale. If you have a poorly designed site, odds are all that content won't be read. :D

Some points are excellent, some mediocre, in my opinion. Anyway, my question was rather broad and I guess the answer simply could not be unified for all situations.

Quality definitely

Someone once said that quantity of content and sites, in general, is much more important for marketing than quality of content. Although certain level of quality is a must. But you don't have to deliver top notch content all the time as long as your production is up and running fast. What do you think about this?

If you want quality output your priority should be quality as well as quantity in the ratio 65:35. However if you want numbers than you can go for quantity to quality ratio 60:40. Quality is necessary in every case only then will your quantity also be effective.

I operate about 10 sites, we bought out a lot of people, so this is were 50% come from, but having more sites helps in terms of traffic, and SEO giving backlinks to your main site etc.

But the websites need to be up to shape not a pile of junk.