Requirements to setup a personal home-server

Mr. Nx

Hi,

I recently came across some tutorials on how to setup a personal server at home on a personal destop machine.

I googled enough and yet couldn't figure out the exact requirements for setting up a server. I wish one of you throw some light on the topic

Power source is not an issue for me (24x7x365). I have a high speed broadband connectivity and wifi router. I have a Dell laptop and an HP desktop (RAM 2GB each) intel dual core. (not going to implement professionally, just for learning something new!)

Need more information. What operating system are you using, what do you plan to do with the server etc etc.

My base recommendation would be to go download an ISO of CentOS, format your computer and use that. Then follow their directions for a basic LAMP setup and you're off and running.

You CAN use Windows for a server too, but it all depends on what it is you're wanting to do with it and what software you need to run.

The articles you read, what was the problem with them? Where did you get stuck? What was the software they were dealing with? What was the link to the tutorials? Why did it not work for you?

All these questions and more need to be answered.

Thank you so much handsonhosting for taking the time to help. As i said, " I basically wants to learn and make myself familiar working with personal servers and maybe apply in profession later". The article I followed can be found here, http://www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/set_up_a_home_server/

Though it seems a good tutorial, the author uses some complex technical terms which are alien to me for example
The official list of chips on which Debian can run includes Intel x86, Motorola 680xx, Sun Sparc,Alpha, PowerPC, ARM, MIPS, HP PA, Intel 64-bit, and S/390 processors, with more in the testing phase.

I don't know what all those are!
I simply know that I have Laptop and Desktops that has Windows Operating Systems, their RAM are 2GB each and can be expanded. Hard disk are 260GB and 280GB respectively. They have Intel Pentium Dual core processors. I have good Internet connectivity and a wifi router I use for routing my connection to my PDA and Mobilephones. I have generators and Inverters so power is not an issue.

What i want to do with the server is to try and host my own website on my own server

where did you stuck?
lol! I couldn't even start, left alone being stuck!

It's really all a matter of what level of thing you're trying to get comfortable with. You can easily run a local LAMP stack with XAMPP on your regular old Windows machine if that's what you're into. But it sounds like you might want to do more hardware/networking stuff?

For just straight up getting used to web hosting your best bet would probably be to just get a cheap VPS from somewhere with Cpanel installed so you can get comfortable working within as close to a normal environment as possible. CPanel hosting is braindead simple and there's documentation on it everywhere, plus pretty much anyone who's ever done any hosting anything will be able to answer your questions.

Frankly, as far as "hosting your own site" is concerned the nuts and bolts of it are really just buying the domain, pointing the nameservers, setting up the whm/cpanel account and then uploading the site. It's not much more complicated than that unless something goes wrong.

I hear you on the terms, it can be confusing. First of all, I'd take a look at that article date (February 2010). The article is an "older article" from web standards point of view. There's been many updates to various software since then.

Second, is there a reason you're looking at Debian in particular? Debian is the flavor of UNIX that is being run on the computer. There's many different types, from Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu and so forth - so you need to determine if Debian is right for you, and if there's enough information out there to help you acomplish your task. For me, I use CentOS on pretty much all my servers, even the computers at home. I used to use RedHat for several years too - simliar structure.

As for the chips that the kernel (command.com) is compatible with, this is simply giving you a heads up that the software might not work as expected if you don't use one of the above CPUs in your computer. It MIGHT work just fine, but they have tested on the above branches and everything is fine.

So they say that it works with Intel x86 & x64 --- that's great, it'll probably work in your computer. If however you're using a CPU made by Cyrix (which was pretty much EVERYWHERE back in the 90's) - they're telling you that the software has not been tested and you may run into issues.

So, with that knowledge, just be sure that if you plan to run Debian, make sure your computer is using the CPU made by one of those manufacturers listed. If it's not - you'll likely run into problems.

Some of the other things to be concerned with is that you can easily host your own site/server BEHIND your firewall, but as soon as you make it public facing, you had better be secure on stuff. Your router should have something called a Demilitarized Zone - this means that it can take outside requests and allow traffic to pass through. THe upside is that your site is now available on the web (provided you have either a static IP from your internet provider, or are using Dynamic Routing through another service) - the bad news is that since you're now accessible, if you don't take the necessary security precautions, someone could easily hack your server, gather your info and post it elsewhere - or worse, use your computer to hack someone else.

While you have decent internet availability, you'll want to verify with your ISP that you can actually run a server on their connection. Most home ISPs do not allow you to run a server and will disconnect you (and/or blacklist you). You certainly wouldn't want to be blacklisted from the only ISP in town - so be sure to contact them first.

If you don't care about others seeing the site, then you can ignore the above, and just run a test server internally for you to play on and get familiar with.

seems strange the OP asking this when they are not that sure/clued up on the web hosting industry

http://www.hostingdiscussion.com/web-hosting-reviews/31227-host-reliable.html#post160487

if you look around you'll find many more such stupid questions from me (lol!) coz I liked to be a fool for five minute asking the silliest questions than not to ask and remain a fool forever.

I find this forum really helful and full of resources, so am just taking my chances. As for the thread about my hosts' reliability is a different but related.

Its like this, I am not new to computers, and some basic stuffs such as HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript
I have been working with CMS Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, Smf, MyBB, PhpBB, Elgg, Jcow, Php FAQ and others. I do it for self, friends and families but not very professional at the moment. Very recently (about 6, 7 months back) i started some forums and blog sites of my own (as explained on that thread) and hosted on that host i mentioned.

Now, Because I am new I have many doubts. I still am learning each day. From various sources and by googling I came across articles about data security, loss, preventions and so on.... Finally I thought "why not learn how to start a server and If i get the trick than I can host my own sites and no uptime, downtime problem, no fear of data loss ever, no need to pay for hostings, no space or bandwidth limits, no sharing of available resources etc.
I had already mentioned in the begining of this thread that the purpose is learning.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I think i need to go back install Ubuntu (since free) and play around, learn and experience more and come back here later

Maybe you should just get a cheap vps?

I am considering since i am already paying more than 10 dollars a month for the double hosting package. But need to learn and gain some in and out knowledge on servers and their workings before getting a VPS

Thank you everyone for your responses. Now I think i need to go back install Ubuntu (since free) and play around, learn and experience more and come back here later

Instead of Ubuntu, I strongly advise CentOS - it's also free. You'll find a lot more information and configuration information on Google when it comes to CentOS and dedicated servers.

I am considering since i am already paying more than 10 dollars a month for the double hosting package.
Be cautious of VPS machines and what it is that you'll spend money on. While there are some places out there that charge less than $20 for a VPS, you need to read their fine print and resources. As far as price goes on a VPS with cPanel and reliable resources - generally you're looking in the $30 range for limited/no help - and higher if you are looking for the hosting company to assist with management when you screw up. If you find a VPS for $10 - run!

handsonhosting said:
Instead of Ubuntu, I strongly advise CentOS - it's also free. You'll find a lot more information and configuration information on Google when it comes to CentOS and dedicated servers.

I think so. I did some search and after reading reviews I have decided on CentOS 6.3 and have it downloaded.
I'll print some available installation documentations and start formatting and booting/installing this evening. I'll start a new thread if needed (which i am sure to need) with an appropriate title.

As for choosing the VPS, your guidance is appreciated a lot. I'll keep in mind

Hello,

If these servers are for hobby then its ok to put these at home. But if you're planning out for a start of a small business they its better to get a small VPS or reseller.

But in regards to home server, these are the things you need.

1. Internet connection (if IP is dynamic use dyndns.org)
2. 1 Server (Linux)
3. Router
4. UPS (to avoid power interruption)

Then in installing a Linux Apache MySQL PHP, you can follow the link below:
http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies

If you are trying to learn

if you are wanting to setup for learning purposes Id suggest Virtual Box or VMWare workstation so you can load various operating systems and not have to reformat your machine for every one.
They are not too hard togte the hang of and allows you to load up any operating system in minutes for trial and testing and when done you simply delete it.

If you are building a home server and it is purely for learning/testing I would setup an ATOM based machine. I setup an Atom (Desktop kit) in a supermicro chassis so it could act as a home test environment. I spent maybe $350 for everything including a decent HDD.

Now you also have raspberry pi as an option as well for a simple LAMP setup. That is what I am having my web design students do at our school, I want them to get familiar with hardware not just software.

Make sure that your ISP allows you to host a public server, if you choose to use it for others to connect to it. Many ISPs will actually terminate a user if they find them using a home connection to host a business service. It is a violation of their TOS in most cases. But since you are not in the US maybe your ISPs operate differently. Nothing wrong with a internal service if it is just a learning mechanism or for private use only :). Enjoy your leaning experience.

Make sure that your ISP allows you to host a public server, if you choose to use it for others to connect to it. Many ISPs will actually terminate a user if they find them using a home connection to host a business service.

Who says he is using a home connection, if he has a business connection, then the ISP should not have a problem, he may have to get the highest business plan though to cope with the extra load etc.