Resellers on different servers?

Hey all,

I am thinking of doing resellers, but am weary of the idea. I would put one box shared hosting, other box resellers. Has anyone done this, and is this a good idea?

Yes that is a really good idea, allowcate diffretn servers for diffrent types of packages. Shared, Reseller. IT is acutally a plan I was thinking of implimenting soon.

A lot of people seperate shared accounts from reseller accounts Max, not uncommon practice.

It can be easier to manage but I dont think there are that many other advantages/disadvantages to splitting them myself.
It will mean you will have to get a new server when it may not be needed each time your shared or reseller server fills up though.
You could have 2 resellers on one server and your shared server is totally full.
If you are splitting, that would mean another server for the shared when there could be loads of space available on the reseller server which may not be growing.
Vise versa :)

I mix my resellers and shared all on the same servers, don't have any issues doing it that way, still have to monitor them all the same so doesn't matter. They don't slow a server down any more than any shared hosting plans so I just don't see the benefits to separating them.

I think its good for the change, more or less. Because my last provider had problems with mixing 200+ sites with 7 resellers, he was having horrible problems with server going down, and ensim can't handle 200+ sites, at most 100-120.

I would always have the faster server as shared, since that's how I run the biz

Why would you do that?
Wouldnt you use the same type of servers for both?
Even if you had some faster than others, why would you use the fastest for shared hosting?
Resellers would also expect the same speed you are providing to your shared users.
They dont want a server which isnt as powerful as yours which they are providing to their own customers ;)

Usually shared hosting servers should be the fastest. this is because shared hosting is the most popular of the many services. When people usually get a reseller account it is because they need more resources. True people that will do hosting for a living will put in the money and at least rent a dedicated server.

This is why the slower machine can be the reseller server. If problems arise then all you have to do is move them to a diffrent server.

The key to this thread is to distribute the clietns evenly to what your system, control panel, etc. can handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost