Server Migration

Matt Midgley

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone here has have the wonderful opportunity of migrating data from one server to another. I need to migrate my Helm database, all the sites, email accounts from mail enable, MySQL and FTP. Not a procedure I've done before and I need to do it as swiftly as possible.

Thanks,
Matt

With Helm it's a fairly simple task. They have a restore tool which you can use.

What you do is install a clean copy of Helm, attach the database and then run the restore tool from the tools folder and tell it to restore everything. I cannot remember if it can do everything in 1 sweep, and if not then you just go through each service and tell it to restore.

All you need to do is make sure each service actually works and once that is confirmed you just do the restore.

Once complete you will have everything set up and will then just need to transfer all the domains folder with the data from your last server in to the domain folder on the new server.

Thanks for the great reply. Will I have to install mailenable berfore helm? Also, will helm create the correct directories (just empty)? Then I could just copy the data straight across.

Thanks,
Matt

You can install ME before or after Helm but if it's after then make sure you do not test until ME is installed.

Basically it creates the directory structures empty and all the IIS settings etc... and you just move the files over.

I am not sure if you then have to run a security script included with Helm to make sure all the permissions are correct on the folders. When you get to that point, let me know and I will take a look.