Server Processor

sktanmoy

I knew that Web Servers are made with Intel Xeon processor and it was the best. But now a days some servers are using Intel Core i7 processors. It it more powerful that Xeon they said. Is it True? i7hosting dot com is using i7 processors, core 2 quard etc. And they said to me that these processors has powerful derver edition. I am unsure about it, any suggestion?

Well, Intel Xeon's are definately more common for hosting servers and they work great. If you're on a tight budget, I would focus more on lots of RAM for the server and choose the Xeon's instead of i7's. ;)

i7 CPU power is wonderful and beats out Xeon, but remember that Xeon was built specifically with Servers in mind.

I"m still partial to Xeon's due to their proven track record for operating 24x7x365 without issues. I have servers operating with Dual Core Xeon's that are 4 years old and still running without a problem. Again, just a personal preference.

I really find the i7 series to be more of a home/media/gaming desktop use CPU. I also prefer Xeons since they're built specifically for servers and new and more powerful ones are being released to match the i7.

My servers are core 2 quads and xeons, and xeons are brilliant, I dont really see the point in an i7 servers, as a good xeon has slightly better performance than an i7

I7 has a server edition as well and it is called Xeon Nehlam. Level 3 cache is what makes them better than other processors. But one thing you have to keep in mind. Do not always check the processor speed, also make sure the IO speed is equivalent with processor. Otherwise, the host won't be able to utilize the whole processing power and run the system into Thrashing!

If you are buying a server go with something that has a Nehalem. The i7 is the desktop version of this. If you have a Nehalem chip you are pretty much guaranteed the rest of the hardware is server grade and not desktop quality.

FYI- the Nehalems are ridiculously fast.

Server grade CPU's are far superior to consumer grade CPU's over a rated Duty Cyle.

If you are going to be putting a server in place get at a minimum something in the e5400 series xeon family. If you have the budget go with the best Nehalem you can afford. There is no comparison between the two in a loaded server enviroment. The server based CPU's will win everytime.

If you are buying a server go with something that has a Nehalem. The i7 is the desktop version of this. If you have a Nehalem chip you are pretty much guaranteed the rest of the hardware is server grade and not desktop quality.

FYI- the Nehalems are ridiculously fast.
Agree with Hivelocity - can hardly wait for the next version to come along. Wow - speed is so ridiculously fast now compared to just a few years ago.

It is best to use items that are built specifically for server use. Take hard drives for another instance, do you use a desktop rated hard drive or server rated hard drive for server applications? Of course you should pick server rated. These items are specifically engineered for continuous uptime and many more thousands of hours of use than a desktop equivalent.

Agree with Hivelocity - can hardly wait for the next version to come along. Wow - speed is so ridiculously fast now compared to just a few years ago.

We just got an email from our Supermicro rep and are waiting on pricing for the new 6 core chips now. These things are going to fly.

This is often debated, but with personal preference Xeon for servers. i7s should stay with desktops.

Xeons are designed for servers.
i7s were designed for desktops not servers.

The market is becoming congested ever since Celerons and Pentium3s came into the market for dedicated servers.

You put something online to the public for people to use why not make it good, its like building your retail shop out of straws instead of bricks. That's my 2 cents!

With Xeon you can build 2 or more CPU on mainboard, and Xeon can support Ram FB-DIM or ECC.
But in a small system, I think Core i7 is better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123