Server Shifting

hozyali

Im looking to move some websites from my dedicated server to a reseller account on a different server.

I need to know if I can do this without my clients' knowledge. like moving email messages, email accounts with same passwords etc.
my dedicated server has MailEnable Basic Version installed.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Ali

He has MailEnable Basic on the server so it looks to be a Windows server.

What control are you running on the dedicated server?

Exon, I do not have cPanel nor the other server has...

I have Plesk 7.6 for Windows. the OS is Windows 2003 Server...
I right now not sure what control panel will we have on the reseller plan.

any idea ?

Regards
Ali

Hello,

What you can do here is you need the take the backup of all your sites that you want to move to the new reseller account. Then you need to upload the backup files and then restore the domain from there itself.

All the backups has to be taken manually. Since it is in the windows server you can use winzip to zip the folders of your domain.

Thank you.

Regards,

hostechsupport said:
Hello,

What you can do here is you need the take the backup of all your sites that you want to move to the new reseller account. Then you need to upload the backup files and then restore the domain from there itself.

All the backups has to be taken manually. Since it is in the windows server you can use winzip to zip the folders of your domain.

Thank you.

Regards,
but whats the option to restore the domains, do you mean to restore to IIS from a specific utility or what ? please explain.

It's impossible for you to do it with zero downtime. because the ips to which the sites are bound will change. so it's best to be upfront with your customers and schedule the change because their sites once the nameserver changes have been made will take 8-24 hours to work fully.

fdcservers said:
It's impossible for you to do it with zero downtime. because the ips to which the sites are bound will change. so it's best to be upfront with your customers and schedule the change because their sites once the nameserver changes have been made will take 8-24 hours to work fully.

Pretty much what I was going to say right before getting to the last post. No real way you can do it with no down time. You have to wait for the domains to propagate to the new IPs/name servers. It can actually take up to 48 hours but normally like stated above 8-24, 8 if your hopeful.

fdcservers said:
Why do you say it's impossible?

I almost never have any downtime when switching sites from server to server.
As long as the site is uploaded on the new server and you're sure the new server supports any scripts that are running, just go to the domain registrar, switch dns and you're done.

Having said that:
There are 2 possible issues to consider. During propagation, different parts of the world will see the site on server1 and other parts of the world will see the site on server2, until full propagation has kicked in.

So this can affect email and live databases, such as a forum.
A person who is still seeing the site from server1 will be posting and emailing to that server, which means server2 will not have that data.

These 2 issues can be resolved also, it's just a bit trickier.

cyanide said:
Why do you say it's impossible?

I almost never have any downtime when switching sites from server to server.
As long as the site is uploaded on the new server and you're sure the new server supports any scripts that are running, just go to the domain registrar, switch dns and you're done.

Having said that:
There are 2 possible issues to consider. During propagation, different parts of the world will see the site on server1 and other parts of the world will see the site on server2, until full propagation has kicked in.

So this can affect email and live databases, such as a forum.
A person who is still seeing the site from server1 will be posting and emailing to that server, which means server2 will not have that data.

These 2 issues can be resolved also, it's just a bit trickier.

well, the first option is that I agree with. all we need to setup the site on new servers and just change the NS of the domains. however the databases and email is affected for the propagation time.

Ali