Setting up a server

afcbob

Hello i have a old computer kicking about and want to start learning how to run a server and host a few of my small sites.But i dont no where to start and what is the min spec of computer i will need.Am not looking for anything fast its just to learn on.What will i need to to run a server and where can i get this stuff.
Please help.I will never host a smal site if any one helps but will run slow.

i think i would be best with linux as it is a old computer it only has windows 98 on if just now and i also want to do this all for free if i can and as far as i no i mite be wrong linux is free.

no i dont want a VPS am not realy going to be hosting anything on it as i said its just for learning but thanks for the info any way.

afcbob said:
no i dont want a VPS am not realy going to be hosting anything on it as i said its just for learning but thanks for the info any way.
A VPS can help you with learning as you will get root access to the server. The small sites you host on your home server aren't going to load fast at all as it would rely on your upload speed. Besides, most ISPs don't even allow this and will suspend your connection if you do this.

-[Unknown]

yes i no this and i am looking in to if its ok to do it.I dont care about the speed it runs at much as am just learning and not using it for any others sites apart from my own that i dont mind running slow.

afcbob said:
i think i would be best with linux as it is a old computer it only has windows 98 on if just now and i also want to do this all for free if i can and as far as i no i mite be wrong linux is free.

Linux is the way to go, in my humble opinion. It handles better, and is much more stable. You would get far with it. As for webhosting, I would recommend CentOS -- Do a google search find there website and download the ISO. Once you've complete that you'll need to compile apache, there are several documentations online that assist you in doing so. You will need a decent connection (DSL or higher) and a router, to run multiple computers on. If you're planning on installing linux, I hope you know how to setup partitions, if not you will need to read a bit more. I hope this helps you :)

afcbob - You can download redhat at https://www.redhat.com/fedora/ and its free. You will find great online support for the os and it should run even on an old pII in the 300mhz range.

Before you get into live servers, its a great idea to play with one at home. I have servers in a datacenter, but I also have a dozzen or so at home tha I run aplication on and use for development. The best way to lean is to just do it.

If you use a machine at home, you can always reinstall the o/s and start over again when you make a major mistake. And with root access and no idea what you are doing, that is inevitable.

You do not have to spend money to learn and the redhat comes with x-windows if you are gui limited. It might be easier to learn with the gui than from a command line on a hosted server.

afcbob said:
Hello i have a old computer kicking about and want to start learning how to run a server and host a few of my small sites.But i dont no where to start and what is the min spec of computer i will need.Am not looking for anything fast its just to learn on.What will i need to to run a server and where can i get this stuff.
Please help.I will never host a smal site if any one helps but will run slow.
try a free all in one hosting panel

http://www.thezpanel.com/