Share your opinion : hidden fees

Basem

What do you think about hidden fees ?!

When you see a seductive offer for example : 20 G webspace for just 2 $ per month while you sign up you figure out that you pay more hidden fees what do you think about hidden fees ? is that an advertising way just to attract more clients or a cheating way as I think ..

As much as I do not like the hidden fees, I think the hosting market, compared to, say, communication marker, is not as big on those. Most companies are pretty much straightforward with their pricing to the point when customers are aware what they are getting. I am not sure what hidden fees you mean exactly, Basem, but I can take a guess that you mean overcharges for space, bandwidth used, or fees like cancelling your account ahead of time, fines, etc. In that case, it is always advisable to read the terms of service before signing up with anyone. If those fees are explained in the terms, then I don't see how it is cheating. However, if a customer faces with fees/fines that were not mentioned anywhere, then its pure fraud.

Anyway, that's just my take on that.

Best,

If those fees are explained in the terms, then I don't see how it is cheating. However, if a customer faces with fees/fines that were not mentioned anywhere, then its pure fraud.
That's about as succinctly as one can put it. Perfectly agreed Art!

I completely agree with you about that , but now many hosting companies take "No hidden fees" as a brand or a sign to take that into consideration I think that prove that "hidden fees" word is actual .

Artashes said:
In that case, it is always advisable to read the terms of service before signing up with anyone.
Agree. What artashes said have to underlined.

Although I also realise that there are so many users who still don't bother about reading the TOS.

No one likes hidden fees, but it sure does work in getting the people to look at your offers.

It reminds me of the cellphone industry in Canada. They advertise a plan at 20$ per month, but then add 8.95$ system access fee, 1.00$ 911 fee, and every single thing you can think of is an extra (callID at 5$ and voicemail at 5$ as well).

So for a basic plan thatw as advertised at 20$ per month, you'll be paying nearly 40$ per month. But hey, they must be doing something right..they sign up new customers every single quarter in a saturated market ;)

If it is mentioned in the TOS of the host that the client needs to pay some extra charges after signing up, then this cannot be considered cheating as it's the responsibility of the client to go through the TOS while signing up.

IMO, if you want customers to trust you and be loyal to you, all fees should be out in the open. When hidden fees start to come into the mix, people become skeptical.

One thing I usually ask myself - "Why is it so cheap?"

Regarding TOS', most people don't read those, and I guess that is where the "cheaters" can roam free.

Just keep things honest and people will always come back to you.

Just my 25 cents in the bubble gum machine :)

I personally hate hidden fees.

IE. Metro PCS Advertises Unlimited Minutes for only $30.00 a month.

But in the end the bill really comes out to $55.00.

I'd prefer truth in advertising... :cool:

Hosting is not as bad as some other sectors when it comes to hidden fees. Most probably you might have picked up some extra features.

dannybedor said:
Agree. What artashes said have to underlined.

Although I also realise that there are so many users who still don't bother about reading the TOS.

Yeah, I think a lot of users still don't bother to read TOS. In fact, it's very important to read so that you know what kind of services you are purchasing.

And I totally agree with what Artashes has mentioned.

Hidden Fees

If a site had fees that were not explained in their terms and conditions then I would use that as a reason to find another hosting provider.

The same goes with everything in my life. I always read the fine print and ask for an explanation before I finally sign on the dotted line. i've been burned too many times in my life.

I do not know anybody who likes hidden costs. Reading the TOS and fine print before you put any credit card or even contact information in can save you big time.

Well I'm not sure about hiding important terms in the TOS is cheating, but it is a very crappy thing to do.
As a hosting consumer, it shouldn't really be my job to read through pages of TOS.

I am much faster to choose the quality more expensive host (w/ no cpu limits etc.) than one that is just quick to offer you everything.

Hidden fees are a part of life when it comes to marketing. Everyone keeps comparing them to cell phone companies. I personally know that cell phone companies have been around for a very long time and there still are no hidden fees. It's common fact that no matter what cell phone company you choose (at least here in america) you will be charged some kind of usage tax. I don't think that tax can be considered a hidden charge. Like it has been stated in previous posts, if you read the TOS then you will see where it talks about having to be charged extra fees including city, state taxes, 911 charges, among others.