Should I offer a free domain?

Matt Midgley

Hello,

I've been established for some time now and found getting customers is the hardest task of the lot. I have established a small client base, but to enable the business to grow, I need to grow my client base first.

I am considering offering a free domain to the next x number of customers who signup and start using our services. What do you think of this?

Also, what sort of terms and conditions should I include in the offer? I was thinking along the lines of:

-Remains property of mjmhosting for the entire year
-Cannot be transfered (to keep custom)
-limited to .com/.co.uk/.net due to cost of some other extensions.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Matt Midgley

Trying to retain control of the domain would be difficult, also if the domain was a .uk, then you'd have the transfer fee to pay at the end of the year if the customer was to keep the domain.

If you registered the domain yourself, then the customer may not be happy at seeing your name rather than his.

I'd retain the customer by good service rather than freebies. By all means offer a freebie, but make it a freebie not a tie in. If you want a tie in, then offer a discount (even a small one) for yearly payment.

Getting customers is difficult, however a customer worth having would probably not be interested in a tied in freebie :(

I would be tempted on higher paying accounts and specify if they cancel their hosting and want a 30 day MBG (If you offer it) then the domain would be exempt and xx amount of dollars would be kept back for the domain. I would leave the domain in their hands though to build confidence with the clients.

When I started up back in 2001 I decided to start a 14 day free trial. I set up PayPal to have a zero charge for 14 days and then start auto recurring unless they contacted me to cancel. It worked well... very well. That was 2001 though and I am not sure how that would run now with the hosting market being a lot busier now then it was then.

It wouldnt hurt to try although I would be aware of fraud these days and spammers wanting an account for free real quick. I didnt have that issue back then. To get over that part maybe you should do manual account creations.

A referral program can work nice as well if you plan something lucrative to your existing customers. on other hand you shall be able to motivate your existing customers who refer a friend for sign up.

I've found that free trials do seem to cause more abuse. People tend to try and sign up then spam or abuse it and cancel soon there after.

What about offering some free software?
30 or 14 day free trial does seem to be good. As a customer, I'd go for this.
But the most important thing is the quality of your service plus features of your offer, that's more important.

Another thread I've finally returned to!

I'm seriously considering offering a free trial. To try and cut down on fraudulent/spam signups I'll probably do it by request only - set up the package in Helm but not add it to the signup script and then add users to it manually.

Matt

Other options are buy the first month and do not pay for the second month and then resume billing on the 3rd month. Just something to get the potential buyers attention.

I would recommend manual set up in your CP, and maybe restrict it to 5 free accounts per day.

I have failed to get into the market! I tried several ways. If I were to try again, I'd do something involving free (what everyone expects these days) or buy an already established host but you often need a lot of startup capital for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting