Sponsored Hosting Domain Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVT-Jordan

I think I just want to throw this out there for people to consider when asking for sponsored hosting. I don't know if others share the same opinion as I do, but I feel very strongly about this.

If you want to request sponsored hosting, which is absolutely fine and I am all for it because it helps people with a good cause get a website with no personal expense, I feel that you should at least spend the $8 and buy the domain name. Hosting your site would not be too much of an expense (depending on your site) for the host, but the domain name is a real expense. Its not something that can just be thrown in. Everybody has to pay for a domain name. I understand that many people that request sponsored hosting are young people who do not have a credit card or paypal account, but there are many free hosts out there that provide subdomains for no charge as well.

Personally, I have no problem sponsoring a website, but I will always refuse to pay the domain name price, as it is only $8/year and can't be too much of a burden.

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, I just feel very strongly about this and would feel remiss if I didn't speak up about it. If a mod feels that this belongs in a different Forum, please move it to the appropriate one.

Thanks,

Last edited:
i agree with Xcel Hosting, hosting is relatively easy as most of us have already paid the monthly cost for our hosting but supplying a domain requires extra money on our behalf, i wouldn't mind buying a domain for someone after maybe 6 months however if they have sent a couple of cusomters my way...but yea most of webhosts will give a free subdomain

I support the issue in general. A domain name, compared to hosting, is not THAT expensive and represents a lot more value (investment/intellectual/etc).

Do not expect companies to give you everything for free. It just goes beyond just sponsored hosting.

Good luck,

Sorry to say but if the person uses a subdomain of the host provider it will only advertise the host itself so providing the subdomain doesnt hurt the provider does it? but its not nice to ask the hoster to provide free domain name also if someone asks that, thats not nice at all. :thumbdown

link107 said:
Sorry to say but if the person uses a subdomain of the host provider it will only advertise the host itself so providing the subdomain doesnt hurt the provider does it? but its not nice to ask the hoster to provide free domain name also if someone asks that, thats not nice at all. :thumbdown

Unless you sponsor the whole site + domain.

but in general, if you can spend 8$ on a domain then dont request for free hosting. simple as that.

but some people dont understand that ..

yeah welll people are sometimes crazy and not afraid to try to ask for it. but on the other hand if it gets popular the domain is still in your hands :) so your investment might triple or more ( probably :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.