Ssd Or Hhd

SSD vs HDD comparison

Hello!

Yes, SSDs are much faster than HDDs.

SSD can have 100 times greater performance, quicker boot ups and faster file transfers than HDD.

1. SSD vs HDD speed:

- A good HDD has ~130 MB/s speed in reading while a normal SSD has over 450 MB/s speed in reading.

- A good HDD has ~120 MB/s speed in writing while a normal SSD has over 250 MB/s speed in writing.

2. Other reasons which makes SSD better than HDD:

- Solid State Drives (SSD) are shock resistant up to 1500g/0.5ms. Hard Drives consist of various moving parts making them susceptible to shock and damage. So, SSD is more durable than HDD.

- SSD use significantly less power -> less than 2W (HDD: 6W). So, SSD consume less power than HDD.

- There are no moving parts and as such no sound.

- It is safe from any effects of magnetism.

- Remember: SSD is cost efficient because one SSD delivers the performance of 100 hard drives (though it has a higher price per gigabyte than HDD).

I recommend you to use SSD drive. We are using SSD for shared and VPS for more than a year and works really good.

Hi,

As Teo has stated, SSDs are faster and the better of the two, but are considerably more expensive at this moment in time to HDDs, I would recommend SSD, but it all depends on what your main purpose is for the drives taking into consideration the cost difference.

We've been using SSDs for a long while now.

They do not last as long. We lose 3-4 SSD Drives for every SAS drive that we lose (in ratio to the number of drives we have).

You should bear that in mind.

We have also found in our lab, that adding more memory to a box tends to get far more performance out of the box in the long term than adding SSDs (obviously if your budget per box is fixed).

We're bringing out a rival platform to wp-engine and was looking at SSD vs SATA, and found that as memory increased the perceived speed difference in speed (how past pages load) tended towards each other. By 96GB of RAM the different was slight. By 192GB of RAM you could not tell the difference.
So under some conditions more RAM is better, as it will also speed up MySQL and once a file is cached in memory, SSD is **** by comparison.
Of course we're still doing the maths. Maybe we'll decide on SSD and lots of memory. But we've got to compete on price, and that's where SSDs shortcoming are.

There's alot to say about longevity. SSDs are around the same price as 15K SAS disks per GB, but around half the size.
If they are half the size, then we need twice as many.
Now if they break twice as often (which is conservative), and we have twice as many, that means we are having to replace disks 4 times as often.
What's the operational cost of that?

SSD much batter selection then HHD, but i feel its use lot of resources such as RAM anyway SAS drives also pretty good if you use them :)

I just recently installed 2 1Tb hybrid SSD's in one of my servers and I've noticed a huge increase in performance.

Note: Server is currently under load, I've seen speeds near 400MB/s.

2x 1Tb Hybrid SSD's in Raid 0
Timing cached reads: 14464 MB in 2.00 seconds = 7243.76 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 996 MB in 3.00 seconds = 331.47 MB/sec

1x 3Tb 7.2k RPM HD
Timing cached reads: 14940 MB in 2.00 seconds = 7482.31 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 466 MB in 3.01 seconds = 154.67 MB/sec

Prior to the installation of my hybrids, I was running on a pure SSD SAN with a VPS. It was fast, but not as fast as the hybrids (likely due to the usages from other VPS's within the cluster).

Currently I am using SSD on my Netbook(Old) and HDD on PC(High End Config).

Startup/Shutdown time of my Nebook is faster then my High End PC and also its takes only few second to move large files.

Yes, we have found that many of customers hosted on SSD servers have better performance, especially mySQL databases

Though still a higher price/gigabyte than hard drives, SSDs offer cost savings in the long run for businesses with lower energy usage and greater productivit.
SDDs are better from many points of view:SSDs are more durable, faster, consume less power, sdds are lighter, are quieter, are cooler.

It is faster. But it depends on what you really need? If you have a static website, then buying SSD is a bit overkill as SATA HDD would do fine for you.

If you required better performance for your website and less website load time, please go with SSD. Many providers are providing SSD VPS servers now a days, you can give it a try and experience the difference between SSD and HDD

Also realize, a lot of providers will get the faster speeds with SSD on VPS servers for example, but that can also mean they are putting a lot more VPS accounts on the server while keeping the same speeds as before... Each provider will make their own decision on how to utilize SSD's; either improved speeds for clients, or for themselves :) And no, there is nothing really "wrong" with that, just a different way of looking at it...

Hi,

There is a shift in trend now-a-days, people are preferring SSD as separate drive other than HDD just for the databases and this is because of high performance and transfer rate.

People generally go for combination of both, like having only specific data on SSD whilst loading the OS from HDD.

I personally prefer SSD because a lot of advantages though there has been no such large capacity SATA, SSD is faster than SATA or SAS and SAS is faster than SATA.

If you want to be sure, you just search on google SSD vs SATA drives ;)