SSL Certs

dr_dats

I've got a question regarding SSL Certs.

I'm looking to get one and will need it for a variety of reasons, but am not sure if I need a wild card cert or something like a RapidSSL for $29.

If I install the cert so it is covering the subdomain like clients.mydomain.com, will it also cover everything in that directory?

Example

secure.mydomain.com/billing
secure.mydomain.com/livechat
secure.mydomain.com/support

Is everything above covered by the SSL Cert on that subdomain?

Yes. An SSL Certificate will cover the domain name and all folders/files within that domain. So if you choose the domain to be "secure.mydoamin.com" then anything transferred on there will be secure.

If you are using multiple subdomains, then you would possibly need a wildcard cert, but other than that a standard SSL Certificate will cover your needs.

hi,

If you get the SSL on secure.mydomain.com, than it will cover everthing. But, if you have more sub-domains than you should go for a wildcard cert.

As above, an SSL certificate will cover everything on the subdomain.

Just make sure that you don't, for example, register the certificate for a particular subdomain, thinking that it can be used on all other subdomains and the main domain.

Hi!
It is important to note that many Certs do not include a prefix "www" along with the base domain. I would not consider buying a cert that did not include this.

Make sure and ask:

mydomain.com
www.mydomain.com

are both included in the cert.

Bryon