Starting out New

Logan70

Ok,

I wanted to throw a general question out there and see what type of replies I get.

I have been kicking the idea of starting a hosting company around for a long long time. Yes, with everyone and their brother doing it, I wanted to see what type of interest could be generated starting with a small reseller account and if it builds up then move onto bigger and better things.

Anyone have any thoughts or feedback on this?

Cheers

Yes, that is the way a lot of people start. It is cost-conscious and less risky. I'd recommend trying to find a niche and/or some differentiators to try and stand out. Also, your local market is a great place to get business.

Logan,
You are definitely taking the right approach. That is how I started out about 4 years ago. Just had a reseller account and built it from there. I definitely agree with PlexiHosting about finding a niche market yourself uniquely. Definitely start locally, there is no better advertising that word of mouth. I am now up to 3 Dedicated server now completely ran by us. It can work :)

Logan as Spartan said, a number of us have started with reseller accounts. I want from a couple of reseller accounts to a dedicated server now I own my own servers, next move for me is to purchase a rack. There is plety of room to move in the market as long as you provide a great service and along with top-notch support!

As plexi stated, go for a niche if you are more confortable with that. Make sure you know alot about your niche and make your clients feel like they are on the same team with you. Don't let anyone tell you there is no money in hosting for newbies. I was at a Halloween part in 2004 where people laughed at the fact that I wanted to jump into the hosting world with my own public service. One guy even said just build some servers and put them on your DSL connection. Another guy proceeded to give me a business card of his friend who works for Fox Networks and runs big business, making it seem like it was my only chance.

Safe to say, they were both wrong. Infact I am receiving so much business that it is hard to keep up with at times. For me, dedicated servers make my business and shared / reseller accounts put the icing on top!

Good Luck and contact me if you need any help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1hosting