Starting out?

lpelham

How can I start hosting or reselling? I've been searching the net and just need to know the basics. Any advice?

Thanks,
Libby

Starting a hosting business is a great idea, but you would have understood that the hosting industry is already very competitive so you will require a good amount of dedication to make a success. It?s usually not possible as a new hosting provider to be competitive against some of the larger providers who have been in the industry for quite a few years, so you must plan an alternative approach allowing you to obtain clients.

Most new providers tend to offer local development services and obtain clients this way to fund the service and then tend to approach the hosting industry when they become financially sound through their current clients.

You also need to consider the following points-

1. Setup a well detailed website
2. Make sure you have a good technical support plan. A ticket system, phone and live support are always good.
2. Make sure you have a good billing system in place. Things like Modernbill or Clientexec are good scripts that help.
3. Select a proper advertising media. Things like banner ad, word of mouth, buiness cards, link exchanges etc work effectively.

Thanks Etech-Peter for the advice. That was very well laid out and simple (I like simple :)). I was afraid about the market already being flooded and competitive. I have a friend who does this already and thought about going into business with him somehow. I am thinking that might be my best option.

Libby

Well first if you if you dont have the time or devotion you dont want to go with starting your own hosting company. Some companies offer reselling which they provide your clients with billing and support. I would recondmend starting out as a reseller and build your clientel up and then venture off by yourself the big key to starting out is alot of advertising and word of mouth and offer some incentives for starting up? I hope this helps

John

Also, don't try to compete. The web hosting industry is too big to do that. Don't offer outlandish packages (like 20 gigs space for $2/month) to try to get customers. You'll end up with more problems in the end.

Thanks everyone! You've been most helpful. I am not sure since I have a baby I have the time and devotion to give to this and like you said Nick, I don't want to get in the hole trying to offer deals that are too good to be true. Thanks again for all your suggestions/comments.

Libby

Exactly what all are the requirements for starting such a web-hosting business...coz nowadays, there are so many ads offering cheap webhostings...i wonder what basic knowledge does on needs for this?

pairbrother said:
Exactly what all are the requirements for starting such a web-hosting business...coz nowadays, there are so many ads offering cheap webhostings...i wonder what basic knowledge does on needs for this?

Well it really depends on what type of service your offering and how you offer it. For example if you buy a dedicated server to host your clients then you will require administration experience for the particular OS. if you are reselling or have a managed server then you kinda dont need the latter.

whatever you are going to do and how...all im going too say is good luck because you will need it and the ones who are already in the trade will surely correct me if im wrong but it is a very dense market!!