subdomains problem

ROHOST

Hy. I work at a web hosting company and i found out a strange situation. For every web hosting plan that you buy from us you will receive a free subdomain. The type of the subdomain that you get from us is: name.rohost.com

BUT rohost.com is my the web hosting company name. So is in my opinion is a huge mistake. Let me know if you fill the same.

having a subdomain associated with the hosting account name can give the main domain a bad rep. Although it can help with Page Ranking along with exposure of their name. I'd guess it's done as a marketing ploy.

Personally, the domains that I own are sacred and I don't setup domains for other people. I find it odd that a hosting company would do that for their clients.

having a subdomain associated with the hosting account name can give the main domain a bad rep. Although it can help with Page Ranking along with exposure of their name. I'd guess it's done as a marketing ploy.

Personally, the domains that I own are sacred and I don't setup domains for other people. I find it odd that a hosting company would do that for their clients.

I am not sure it can help at the page rank, in fact i think the opposite. Maybe it was easiest way to handle the subdomains, not a part of marketing.

I dont remember the name but I have seen it with one other company. (was a big company though) When I checked closely I found lots of spam forum, blog and even warez stuff hosted on those sub-domains.

So, I think just giving out free sub-domain may not be a bad idea itself but if they are used incorrectly (for negative stuff), your main domain is going to get the bad repo.

I am not sure it can help at the page rank, in fact i think the opposite. Maybe it was easiest way to handle the subdomains, not a part of marketing.

Subdomains contribute both to alexa ranking and google ranking as the main domain name is listed in the site.

As far as marketing - you're getting your main domain out there even further (just like geocities and their sites - geocities reaped the rewards of people signing up). Same effect.

That my friend is exactly what a sub domain is. Its just an extension of your domain.

It comes free as it is free for you to make. When you create something in WHM or most other panels if you create an account with the domain bla.x.com it automatically makes it.

Its more of a way for people to have a domain free until they purchase a real one. Or people that are not really interested in the domain, as it is not really a for the public ( Ex. family photo album or something to that nature. People will not be using your company name with their site.

Many other web hosts give their users a free main domain with any extension of their choice (including .com) for every hosting package the users purchase. So, I think giving a sub domain as a bonus is not an effective marketing strategy.

How exactly would it help with Page Rank? I thought the subdomain has nothing to do with domain in that respect; I thought that search engines treat them as different entities?

I guess so, but I am not really sure about that. In terms of optimizing your website to get better ranked by search engines, it's better to create a sub directory (yourdomain.com/sub-directory) than to create a sub domain.