Switch Advice?

dcpaq2

Group,

I am looking to purchase a switch for my 42U cabinet which currently consists of one HP Proliant DL380 G3 server that has TWO NIC Cards and One KVM over IP card in it.

My plans are to eventually house about 4 to 6 HP Proliant DL380 G3 or G4 Servers in my 42U cabinet. Each server will take up (3) Three ports on the switch.

I'd like to see about purchasing a switch that is capable of being accessed and controlled remotely through the internet, and can restrict the amount of data flow to each server on seperate controls, and any other useful features that you guys think i should look into getting.

My budget is $500.00 or less.

Anyone have any suggestions and or links to the companies website with product and pricing/order information on the suggested switch?

Thanks

Doug

You could try to post in the requests forum to see if any companies on this site would be interested. Good luck in finding a company that fits your needs.

dcpaq2, Google is your best friend in situations like these. Do a small serach and you should have yourself some good reading. :p

Good luck!

- Tomer

Guys google doesnt help me if i dont know what im looking for. :)

I need your guys help in telling me what to look for, what to buy and what not to buy based on your experiences.

This is the kind of help im looking for.

Also keep in mind that replys like "check out cisco" is no help, i need written out information with links and maybe some photos of what to look for.

Im a newbie to this stuff, i need all the help i can get with DETAILED information and or advice, talk to me like your talking to a newbie , not someone with 25 years of IT experience. ok?

Thanks much

Doug

Can you push it to $600-700? Ebay a cisco 2950 switch should do it for you if you're hosting at a few servers...

Which Linksys model did you go with? I hope it was one of the higher end models, Linksys tends to bog down quickly under any kind of load.

Havent actually bought it yet, I have just got my mind made up on going with linksys. Everyone i have spoke to about them say that linksys is now owned by Cisco and the Cisco quality is now in the linksys products so heck why not? Also this is the only switch i have come across that will do 1000mbit on all 24 ports. this switch is going new for about $525.00.

If you really want to know which model i have decided on here is a link to it.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...825000&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

Doug

Hopefully it will be OK. Problem with Linksys is that even on their so called high end models they don't tell you the important specs. Sure it's great that it has 24 gigabit ports, but what can the backbone handle? What can the processor support? Without knowing its real capacity and throughput you really just can't compare it to anything.

seriously - save yourself the headaches and ditch the linksys idea.
yes they're owned by cisco, but they're not in the same league as the 2950's etc.

its like comparing shears and a drive on lawnmower
- they'll both cut your grass, they might even be made by the same company, but they are very different things ...

did you verify that this one will handle the qos support you are lookign for on a port by port basis? also - did oyu make sure it will support snmp feeds to mrtg - you will need that for billing.

The best advice I can give you is, whatever switch you go with.. make sure its Cisco. We use Cisco 1900's 42 port on some of our 1u racks.

I personally use Dell switches. Dont need huge bandwidth, and this one pushes a few gigs a sec so Im good with it.

MOD NOTE: Post edited. 3.4 Participants may not post or otherwise transmit promotional materials, or any other form of solicitation, except in those forum sections where advertising is expressly permitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure you will regret purchasing the Linksys. Cisco is the best way to go for good quality switches, and the 2950 series is great stuff.

Cubic said:
I'm pretty sure you will regret purchasing the Linksys. Cisco is the best way to go for good quality switches, and the 2950 series is great stuff.

Well I prefer the HP Procurve over any cisco :0 But I still use Dell switches since their a bit cheaper and they do the job. :dance:

I'm going to have to definetly vote for the Cisco 2950 switch. Wonderful peice of equipment. With Cisco you know you are getting a high quality switch and the support is excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
netcrohosting