The lifting of unlimited advertising restrictions in the Marketplace

Artashes

Administrator
Staff member
Dear members and visitors,

We've all heard the great debate about unlimited disk space and bandwidth offered by hosting companies. In fact, in over a decade of HostingDiscussion existence, I lost count how many times our members have argued about the subject.

During the same ten plus years, HostingDiscussion stood on the path of restricting such advertising in its marketplace. We proactively monitored and enforced the policies to ensure all companies were in line with the restrictions while posting their offers.

Fast-forward to today. The marketing of unlimited disk space and/or bandwidth is everywhere and just because it doesn't exist (as much as unlimited emails, forwarders, databases or subdomains do not technically exist), doesn't mean it isn't here to stay. If 15 years ago it was a new dangerous term that was perceived as a definite red flag, in 2016 everyone from startups to the largest and most respected companies market unlimited hosting plans.

Along with the widespread adoption of the term came another critical challenge. HostingDiscussion has vigorously protected its marketplace for years, but what we've started to see happen more frequently is that companies would post limited offers in their threads, but have unlimited resources listed on their sites. Sometimes companies have only one or two limited plans which they legitimately post here, but once customers end up on their website, they are exposed to all of them, including unlimited deals. While we can control and moderate content posted by companies on our forum, we cannot do that on their websites, making our policing efforts unproductive.

For these reasons, and in order to adapt to modern times, effective today we are lifting the restriction on advertising unlimited disk space and/or bandwidth in our Marketplace. In other words, such advertising terminology is now allowed.

Apart from providing web hosting companies with a platform to communicate, discuss industry challenges, help each other grow as well as find new business, one of our missions has always been to also educate consumers. As such, along with permitting companies to advertise unlimited plans without restrictions, we are presenting a terrific guide written by our community advisor ughosting (available in every hosting-specific marketplace forum) that will keep potential clients informed about what they might expect if they were to sign up for such a plan.

It is the end of an era, folks. I am going to go have a sip of my San Pellegrino Aranciata.

Artashes

Thanks! I think I am the first to advertise unlimited plans

However, the guide is inaccurate as it defines "unlimited" in terms of hardware instead of quotas. The guide defines it in terms of what it is not instead of what it is, and thereby giving the impression hosts are advertising the thing it is not. It also discusses non-plan resources in a way that also applies to limited host but makes it appear it applies only to unlimited hosts. The author does have a financial interest in setting a negative tone regarding unlimited hosting and that has snuck in. The article is more dishonest than any hosting plan I've seen

I have provided documentation and OS screen shots on several occasions showing what it means and how unlimited disk quota is configured by a server admin. Not to mention my FAQ (which wht used to justify their conversion)

Last edited:
Thanks! I think I am the first to advertise unlimited plans
Yes you are. :thumbup:

However, the guide is inaccurate as it [...]
I don't think we'll be turning this announcement thread into a debate because of this:
We've all heard the great debate about unlimited disk space and bandwidth offered by hosting companies. In fact, in over a decade of HostingDiscussion existence, I lost count how many times our members have argued about the subject.

And also because it isn't the appropriate forum for that. If you'd like to present your theories, there are other forums perfectly suitable for that.

The author does have a financial interest in setting a negative tone regarding unlimited hosting and that has snuck in
Haha! Priceless.

Yes you are. :thumbup:

I don't think we'll be turning this announcement thread into a debate... because it isn't the appropriate forum for that. If you'd like to present your theories, there are other forums perfectly suitable for that.

Hmm, ok I guess I'll have to find a place other than the feedback forum. And I'll try to think of something that no one will disagree with. Yawn

And I'll try to think of something that no one will disagree with.
That's intriguing. However, the reason why this subject has been debated for over a decade is because so far there hasn't been a single argument that was convincing enough for everyone to put it to bed. But I'm certainly looking forward to it. :news:

I can understand that more and companies are now offering unlimited hosting, it is only good for a community to accept it. It will only bring more activity for them, hopefully. All the best.