The safest place

sherwood

Where is the safest place to check available domain names? I have been told to register a domain right way after finding that the domain I check is available, otherwise someone (or the registrar I check the domain on?) will catch it and register it himself.

This has never happened to me.
I doubt very much it happens at all.
With hundreds of thousands of name registrations and millions of searches every day it would seem a little absurd that registrars are registering domains based on searches.

Just make sure you register your domains using one of the big, reputable registrars like NameCheap or GoDaddy and you shouldn't have to worry about anything of that sort. I wouldn't put it past some people though (scum has no limits).

Are you guys new online or something? The topic starter is exactly right. The registrars DO THIS. They have always done this, and they will keep doing it in the future. Infact, they even sell their search queries to high bidders!

Are you guys new online or something? The topic starter is exactly right. The registrars DO THIS. They have always done this, and they will keep doing it in the future. Infact, they even sell their search queries to high bidders!

No. I'm not new to online or something.
Perhaps you have some proof of your claim?

No. I'm not new to online or something.
Perhaps you have some proof of your claim?

Exactly :agree:.. I've never heard of any reputable registrar doing this, and anyone that does should definately be avoided at all costs in my book. Can you point/link us to some examples that can give your claim some credibility?

Also, from the looks of your post count and HD tag, I would say you're the one who is new (to online or something). :D

To be fair, there have been a lot of accusations over the years, but none have ever been verified. Some saying it's too coincidental does not amount to proof.

I have been told to register a domain right way after finding that the domain I check is available, otherwise someone (or the registrar I check the domain on?) will catch it and register it himself.

Interesting this is the first time I heard it. I wonder if someone can give us a proof that this is really going on.

That was one of the most exciting threads I have ever read. Registrars are really not interested in registering your searched domain names. Their field of work is different.

As far as checking the availability of domain names is concerned, there are hundreds of websites providing this service.

I've always heard to register right away too but more just because someone else may snap it up, not because the registrar service would take it after you searched.

Netsol did reserved the searched domain for few days as mentioned by Kevin. There had also been instances of domain search being snooped and booked by scums, I had experienced this myself at godaddy and some others.

But it had been years now and I am not sure if it is still happening now days.

And with new domains going away every day with such a fast speed, it is always advisable that if you want a domain and if it is there to be booked, better book it then and there. You never know if someone else is also looking for the same name.

We've used SimpleUrl and never had a problem. I *have* heard of this before, but have never seen it substantiated. Chances are, it was just coincidence. After all, there are few, if any, single dictionary words left as dot coms (and haven't been for about 10 years already).

Where is the safest place to check available domain names? I have been told to register a domain right way after finding that the domain I check is available, otherwise someone (or the registrar I check the domain on?) will catch it and register it himself.

Never heard of it. The registrar is wasting money if spammers search domains.