The Significance of a Domain Name

VL-Adam

An important part of a website is its domain name although this is not usually recognized by many people. Web designers and developers usually focus more on the content, design and angle of their website and the target audience that they are marking. No doubt these are all important factors but a domain name should not be overlooked at all and should be treated with equal importance given to other aspects about the website. In order to make your domain name stand out and work for your website there are several key elements that can be kept in mind when constructing such a domain name.

Informational -v- memorable

An imperative thing to remember when choosing a domain name is the fact that it has to be memorable. Making sure that your targeted audience remembers your domain name is a valid key point that can affect your website in the long run. What exactly constitutes a memorable domain name? Such a domain name needs to be kept short when typing so that people don’t need to get annoyed by the fact that long names for websites have to be carefully typed into a search bar to avoid mistakes. The chosen domain name should also have no spelling quirks and should be easy to spell. This again prevents people from getting the wrong address of your website and then avoiding frustration as a result. However, this does not mean you go all out boring with the name. The name should be fun and edgy yet appealing to your target audience. Be creative yet professional and your website will achieve a look of confidence and entertainment all wrapped in one. However, this also depends entirely on your target audience and who you’re aiming to market your products at.

Short and sweet

When a domain name is short, it has a bonus advantage. It can be easily worked with logos and made to look aesthetically pleasing as well in a relatively minimum amount of effort involved. It is vital to remember that short does not always mean simple though. Your domain name should have that extra element that makes the marketing side all the more successful. Make sure that you choose a domain name that is entirely unique in nature. Copyrights and trademarks issues can become huge problems if a domain name is similar to an existing brand name and this situation should be avoided at all costs. A domain name has that power to become tantamount to the business it is associated with and therefore it represents a class and an image that can define the entire business. Therefore it is essential to make the domain name worthy of the business it represents.

Keyword Rich

A good domain name will hint at the type of business it represents and gives the audience an idea of what to expect. This is all important because the name needs to fit the business. Does your domain name have the keywords relative to your business in it and why should it? A funky and amusing name will obviously not work for an accounting firm since there needs to be an element of professionalism here to make people take them seriously. Keeping all these points in mind, a domain name should be chosen very wisely.

What's in a name?

Is it a label or a description? I can remember my name but forget other people's

Do I remember big brands because of the name or is it repetition that drills it home?

The biggest brands are nondescript and include 1 word in their name.

so true, detered. The domain name is not so important nowadays, did the top internet brands like google or twitter wanted to associate their names with keywords? no - better invest your creativity in content

so true, detered. The domain name is not so important nowadays, did the top internet brands like google or twitter wanted to associate their names with keywords? no - better invest your creativity in content
I have to disagree. Domain names can make or break a company, and the smaller you are, the more a good domain will impact your searchability. When I analyze top ten results for different keywords, I routinely see small companies with keyword rich domains and titles outranking sites with thousands of backlinks.

A good domain name can help of course, but you advertise a lot and really want to success you can do so also by using an 'individual' name. My opinion.