ThePlanet Datacenters

Servax

I was wondering, I've heard that The Planet datacenters are the best in North America and in my option it has been. I currently have a server in their datacenter and everything is great...

So my question is, is The Planet really that good or does the high prices not worth it?

So my question is, is The Planet really that good or does the high prices not worth it?
It looks like you are currently having a great experience with The Planet. Do you think the high prices are worth it for the "best" datacenter? If you personally think that its the best datacenter, then the answer should be obvious.

Ya I will say the planet is really a good datacenter there customer service is also good enough and for good quality you will have to spend some extra $$ I guess :)

I have found them to be good when it comes to hardware issues - which I guess is their main area of expertise - but rather shoddy in other areas.
eg, as a plesk reseller, they are supposed to provide plesk support but, ime, it has been a case little more than regurgitating the plesk manual at me.

Also poor customer service - they seem to have a "this is the way it is and if you don't like it, bugger off - ppl are queueing up to sign with us".

But, as I said at the top, their actual support for their hardware is good.
Also, pricewise, I have found them to be pretty good actually for the sort of servers I want - their P2800S offering for example I cannot find equivalent for about the same money at any other reliable DC, bearing in mind the 40GB NAS you get with that server too. Granted, the setup fees are a killer though :(

Every DC has it's fans and it's detractors - I would say, if you are happy with them then stick with em rather than trying to save a few $$ - the next DC might not be so good...

Well, I actually buy from one of their resellers that colocate with them... And I have never had any problems with support, never had a hardware problem but I can get someone online to help me by paging emm... So support is great for me ^-^

The Planet does have a great network, however not the BEST in North America. There are many other datacenters with much better networks such as Equinix or Peer 1 and other peering companies such as Switch and Data, although Switch and Data do not keep there facilities monitored 24/7 and staffed (at least were I live). The Planet is an awesome datacenter, but many other datacenters in North America that are even better.

TheNetway said:
The Planet does have a great network, however not the BEST in North America. There are many other datacenters with much better networks such as Equinix or Peer 1 and other peering companies such as Switch and Data, although Switch and Data do not keep there facilities monitored 24/7 and staffed (at least were I live). The Planet is an awesome datacenter, but many other datacenters in North America that are even better.

I agree with you here. ThePlanet, from what I've been hearing has an excellent and stable network, although from experience, I personally prefer Equinix above most data centers.

A famous saying...
"Quality versus Quantity"
much debated, but I think the quality of the planet is un-beatable.So in my opinion it is worth the extra $

Well DC5 is having outage right now along with theplanet.com/servermatrix.com and all sites not loading :rolleyes:

WebDT said:
Well DC5 is having outage right now along with theplanet.com/servermatrix.com and all sites not loading :rolleyes:
That's incorrect.

DC5 isn't nor has it been offline during the D2 issue.

Simon

Yeah it was a guess as no one said. But if I coudlnt get to a server or there sites what would you think huh.

WebDT said:
Yeah it was a guess as no one said. But if I coudlnt get to a server or there sites what would you think huh.
I'd check my server. Then i'd call the Dc, before accusing the whole D5 datacenter of being down :)

Simon

Which I did do, they said its being fixed and thats it so dont tell me what to do when I did do it. I hate people telling me my own advice :)

I would consider the planet not expensive at all, also i wouldnt really say its the best, because in terms on connectivity alot of other DC's beat it (equinix , peer1 etc).

Although for the price/performance ratio, its great.

- Eddy

ThePlanet seems to have suffered a few power / and especially in terms of connectivity - network outages recently though that it hasn't been able to control.

jswf said:
ThePlanet seems to have suffered a few power / and especially in terms of connectivity - network outages recently though that it hasn't been able to control.
Network outages? A few power outages?

Which Dc is this in? There's been one power outage, in D2, and that's it.

Network outages aren't something that have occured at any of the DC's for a long time.

Simon

Power, network :-/ For some reason ThePlanet always seems to stick in my mind when people say Network Outages, I'm not clued up on their exact outages myself. Just remember going through a few angry threads on a few different forums on their last outage.

What Simon was trying to underline is that there was only one incident. It did affect lot of people and consequently there were obviously a lot of "reverberations", but this doesn't mean it's a frequent occurence. :)

jswf said:
Power, network :-/ For some reason ThePlanet always seems to stick in my mind when people say Network Outages, I'm not clued up on their exact outages myself. Just remember going through a few angry threads on a few different forums on their last outage.

well i guess every datacenter has their problems... i dont think there is a perfect datacenter out there with 100% uptime of everything...

block9hosting said:
well i guess every datacenter has their problems... i dont think there is a perfect datacenter out there with 100% uptime of everything...
That's true, no datacentre itself can be 100% perfect, and even with redundancy measures in place there is still a margin for error. It's just theplanet stuck firmly in my mind for my last post, just because of the number of people that it did affect.