There is so many hosting website have no traffic,why?

fxj10cn

On one of my project about web hosting rating, I found there is many website of hosting company have no Alexa rank, no Google Pagerank,some of the website can not be access any more. Some of the company was built before 2001, but also no website traffic.

Does this mean there was many hosting company going 'dead' each year? Or the hosting market will be a place for few and few big company?

<<MOD NOTE: Post edited. URLs are not necessary.>>

One thing to remember about Alexa is that it only does traffic ranking for those users that have the Alexa toolbar installed. Usually these are webmasters and progrmmers, however MOST designers, once they're setup, they're not going to the main page on the web hosts site any more. It's quite common to find ZERO with Alexa. As for google pagerank decreasing, there could have been a marketing A/B testing going on and the pagerank lowered. They could have tried something different with advertising and been sandboxed by google briefly. They could have an error in their sitemap, so much so that google won't index them.

There could be any number of reasons why these outside sources are not ranking them high. Do a search in google for the company names, and you will find results on the company. Choosing a company based on traffic isn't something I would do. If they're just spamming their site, they could get lots of traffic. Or if they're a word of mouth company they may get less. But who is to say which one was actually a better company to host with.

True, Conor.

Numbers are just that - numbers. Statistics...as in 'lies, damn lies, and _______'.

Page ranking is a measure of how many people visit the site. Not how many clients the business has, or (perhaps more important) how profitable the business is. And since profit/loss is something only available for publicly-traded web hosts, and the majority of web hosts are not publicly traded...the conclusion you're trying to draw can't be supported or refuted by the numbers you're using.

There probably are a lot of web hosts that go "dead" each year. However, there are also a whole lot that start up each year. At one point, data from the US small business administration said that 80% of small businesses fail in the first year - that's small businesses of all types, not just web hosts. And since the barrier to entry is so low for a virtual business (web hosting, web design/development, SEO/online marketing services), there will be a very high number of startups in these areas each year.

Some hosts may prefer to just stick to a local market, and although have been around since 2001, may chose to not publicly advertise, and as such, will have very little traffic being reported. A host not posting any press releases or not posting on any forums, ect. will receive very little traffic unless it's from local advertising (newspapers, ect.)

Hi,

I agree strongly with RYan... many just have a web presence for their own local market to view.. which means not many visitors are hitting the site however the company is by no means smalll.. if they are targetting their local niche market.

That seems strange to me kinda. You would think that any web host would want any client from internet or local martket.

I know TheHosted has been around for almost 5 years but has almost all local customers. Most just call and ask questions on the phone. I don't think they get much traffic or have a high page rank but they are plenty busy with lots of clients.

On one of my project about web hosting rating, I found there is many website of hosting company have no Alexa rank, no Google Pagerank,some of the website can not be access any more. Some of the company was built before 2001, but also no website traffic.

Does this mean there was many hosting company going 'dead' each year? Or the hosting market will be a place for few and few big company?

<<MOD NOTE: Post edited. URLs are not necessary.>>

There might be possibility that some of them either have closed their hosting business and shifted to other industry, few of them might be doing reseller business focusing on their local market only or don't know the importance of optimizing the website. On the contrary the stable company is growing, you can even find few hosting company still in hosting business from late 90's.

Last edited:
Well all of those statistics don't include the traffic that is going to the private pages of each site, like their Billing panel etc. Hosts usually have a robots.txt file blocking those areas from being indexed to.
That's usually where most web hosting companies most of their traffic, how often do you go back to their homepage after you have signed up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost