Thoughts on ".co"?

DeluxeHost.com

I've seen more and more people using ".co" and I wanted to know your thoughts on it? Obviously it is the country code TLD of Columbia, but most of our customers won't know that and it sounds very professional like ".com"

Would you use it?

Well, it is ok, I bought it to go to my collection of Domains for the business, but I still think it is just a hyped up domain which is worthless?

IMO it's kinda worthless. If you register a .co and the .com was taken by someone else, chances are your visitors will bump into the .com site instead of your .co site..

That might be true. It's tough to get a good ".com" these days.

In that case, it's better to pay for the .com or go with a less desirable name and get both the .com and the .co...

To the OP, It's hard to say. But in the end, if someone else already has the .com, it's best to find something else or try to buy a domain off of a seller.

I'm not sure how I feel about it -- it certainly doesn't seem unprofessional, 'cheap', or anything, but I don't think I would use it myself.

.co domain currently is not popular. But as you said that it is country code of COlumbia, may be in some months or just 2-3 years, it can be popular for Columbia as the domain extensions are very popular country-wise.

dont have any .co domains, but several of my clients do.

when i look for a domain i will looks for .com and .co.uk being available if either one is taken then i will just think of a new domain until i find one suitable with both available.

With country tlds i think it is only the .us extensions that can be taken off you if you are not based or have a USA postal address

Last edited:
I stay away from them. If I can't get .com, then I may consider .net or a country specific extension if it fits the niche I'm in. But I think .co is like the push that was on when .ws started up. It'll die down soon, in my opinion.

you just need to look at the prices for .co domains now compared to when they started (not too long ago) the have drop considerably

It was a really Viral domain but it didnt go any further they were expecting to take over .com with .co but .com is the bigest used tld. So my opinion the .co domain is worthless.

Its just another one of those dumb extensions that companies try to hype up just so they can get people to buy them. In my opinion, these are just unnecessary and waste money. Sooner or later, there are going to be so many extensions that its not gonna be funny, and no one is going to know what to do.

If the .com is available for the same domain name then there is no point in going for .co for saving few bucks. A agree with many of the above members not to go for .co for unnecessary reason.

The big problem with .co is that it resembles .com to much. To many people will try to place .com behind the name. I would therefor suggest to only register .com if you have either no other option or if you are already the owner of .com.

I was surprised to see that GoDaddy placed the focus of its Superbowl commercial this year on the .co name. I still don't see the point of using it, unless you are in Colombia. I know there are very few great .com names available, but it just seems like a bunch of hype. Godaddy even calls it on its website, "The world's next premiere web address." :disagree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost