Transferring a .co.uk Domain

Matt Midgley

Has anyone got first hand experience of moving a .co.uk domain? I could do with moving a few but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. I;ve looked at the domain control panel at godaddy.com and it says you can't change the name of the registrant - but I need to! I was looking at the nominet site and it looks like there is a fee for changing the registrants name etc! Would rather avoid that.

Ta,
Matt

Try changing the IPS tag to UKReg (fasthosts) and you should be able to make the changes you need. When transferring domains it's common to have to pay another year of registration but I do not think I have ever paid an admin charge.

I've never done so myself, but 123-reg.co.uk offer "Free Domain Transfer". Whether that is entirely true or not I'm not sure.

I've never done so myself, but 123-reg.co.uk offer "Free Domain Transfer". Whether that is entirely true or not I'm not sure.

The word "free" can be a bit abused these days ;) No doubt it means that it's free to transfer after you pay another year registration fee... which is free but still something that needs to be paid now.

To change the registrant name, you need to complete a transfer process with Nominet and get both the old and new parties to complete the forms.

To transfer between registrars, then simply get the current registrar to update the IPSTAG to the new registrar's tag name and complete any signup process with the new registrar.

So you mean there is still paperwork ;) How last century is that. LOL.

Thanks for the indepth details Alex.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen the 5 page form that needs to be filled in for Nominet. It is rather annoying when I can transfer a .com in a matter of minutes. Even worse, I have 3 domains to move - 3 massive forms! Oh well, I'll get round to it one day.

It's on of those forms most people think suck until it saves their domain. I guess it's not that bad afterall :)