Transferring Domain Names

CountryBoy

I'm not in the mood right now for changing host but what if I was. How easy is it to transfer your domain name from your old host to your new one? I'm completely unfamiliar with the process. I did work in the cell phone industry and changing phone numbers from one company to another was supposed to be trouble free. It wasn't and I got to work with people who had problems with it. Completely different animal I know. From what I know about domain names changes it should be fairly straightforward but I'm just a little paranoid.

To change hosts you don't need to tranfer the domain to the new host. All you need to do is change the domain's nameservers as instructed by the new host.

A domain transfer moves your domain from one registrar to another, and is a whole different process.

I generally recommend that you keep your domains with a company (I use namecheap), and another to host the actual site.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Changing Hosts: If both hosts use the same control panel, it can be as simple as creating a backup on the original host, then transferring the file to the new host and restoring the backup on the new host. Many host will do this for you without charge. If the hosts utilize different control panels, it may be more difficult, however, many time scripts are available to aid the transfer. Once the aforementioned is done, you simply update your domains nameservers as IDCDC stated.

Changing Registrars: You must be able to access your domain's registrant contact/billing email account to approve the transfer. Additionally, the domain must not be locked. If it is locked you must be able to access the domain's control panel and unlock it or have your current registrar or reseller unlock the domain, otherwise the transfer will not be allowed. If these conditions are met, it's simply a matter of initiating the transfer via a new registrar. You'll receive an email asking you to approve or decline the transfer. It's fairly easy.

Who did register your domain.. the web host or domain registar. It is easy to transfer domain.. especially if you have it on your onw domain account.

I have never had a problem transfering a domain. About the biggest problems with it is that often it can take up to 48 hours for the DNS to resolve (although it can also be instant and I am not sure why it is so variable), so that it points to the new domain. In the meantime members won't be able to access the new site.

The best thing to do is just find a single domain provider, like name cheap or godaddy. Personally I prefer godaddy for domains ONLY. That way you don't have to constantly transfer your domains back and forth, you just update the name server IP's associated with those domains. This makes life much easier and less costly if you find you have to switch hosts.