Unlimited or Limited DataBases & Domains?

Augustino

Hi

What you prefer, DataBases and Domains on your Hosting Account, Unlimited or Limited?

The bandwidth and the space can not unlimited, because are expansive,
but I want put 2 examples about of the reality:

---One client have one just domain and one just Database with thousands of queries each minute

---Other client with 50 domains and many databases, but is wasting very little resources

Many times, the hosting bussines is limiting the DataBases and the domains on each hosting account, because they is thinking

--"umm, Limiting, the DataBases and Domains, can look be more reliable and with less overselling my service"

or

--"They really wants give a good service, limiting the features, but sometime they would have to suspend some account, for the previously wrote"

What you think about of this? sometime also is limiting email accounts, and other things

You can vote two options the 2 first options are about of the first question and the options 3rd & 4th are about of the second question

By setting limits on transfer and disk space everything else doesn't really need to be metered.
As you said, an account using one database can use more resources than an account use 20 databases.

The only way to have a real effect on average (server or fleet wide) usage is to use really handicapping limits, like say 1 or 2 databases.

Limits like 50 databases are only really useful for marketing purposes, to further justify the higher price of one plan over the other. Plan one comes with 50, Plan Two comes with 100. The higher number adds "value" to Plan Two. :)

First, what type of account are we talking about? I would say it would make sense to limit domains/mysql db's the lower the plan cost and if it is a shared type of an account. I have seen some host limit Db's, e-mails, etc on $5 or less plans which makes sense.

However, that is not the standard, standard currently is unlimited everything... The fact remains tho, that most customers just won't use unlimited :) of anything and some won't even use any at all. So the suggestions above do make a lot of sense also.

Personally for development purposes I like having unlimited everything. Because I don't actually usually host or use db's long range, but set them up and than move them to their actual server. Also I like to test scripts etc all the time, which with a limited amount of db's that would not work well.

But, when a hosting is limiting the DB´s and Domains, have the following problem:

The hosting is getting the clients is looking for a hosting without overselling, BUT is losing the most of clients the which is looking for some "unlimited"

What you think about of this?

Just be careful if you decide to go the route of offering unlimited databases etc. that you don't oversell the disk space and data transfer allocations to ridiculous levels or you will end up with hugely overloaded servers. As was said above you can use the disk space allocation to help cap the rest of the usage.

Id prefer unlimited but in all reality, who uses more then 5 or 6 DBs on a basic shared hosting plan? Its always good to know you wont run out thats for sure :D