Using Ebay to sell web hosting services

layerblue

I am curious if anyone on this board has any experience with using Ebay to sell their web hosting services. If you could, post your experiences and wether or not you got a good return on it.

I would not suggest it. Most people know they are fly by night companies trying to make a quick buck.

I've heard this question asked soo many times. Please do a scan of the HostingDiscussion Forums, using the Search engine! It would definitely help you answer this question as it has been raised many times in the past.
Regards,
~Equinox

My guess is that since your bidding on clients, its a scam. The clients are proboly all the sellers friends or one of the same, and they'll all proboly cancel after the first month.

My guess is that since your bidding on clients, its a scam. The clients are proboly all the sellers friends or one of the same, and they'll all proboly cancel after the first month.
dubs, this is not what this thread is about. This topic is about selling hosting services through eBay rather than through a hosting company's website.

But what do you think ?

Is it a safe way to get potiential customers ? or do people really think that a well established company wants a quick buck ?.

because i have been thinking about it lately. but havent took the steps to "promote" it on ebay.

any feedback would be welcome

Do not sell hosting on eBay. It is very unprofessional and if a company has a business plan that would allow for it, you know you should look for another company. If a company is selling hosting on eBay their motive is probably to make a quick buck and I would doubt that any host who sells hosting on eBay makes it past the first year.

I personally know a hosting company that has established it's core set of customers precisely by targetting the eBay crowd. They have an unbelievably large set of customers and continue to sell hosting on eBay.

That being said, I'm surprised that people would even *look* at eBay for reseller hosting when there are so many great sites like this to find a provider through. :-D

Roj

Ai ai good advice :)

well then my advertising will be mouth to mouth then :) . works good untill now, and i will keep it that way then :)

I personally would find it difficult to sell hosting on Ebay--How do you collect payment post-sale? It would seem like a major PIA if you ask me lol

There is nothing wrong with it. However I agree with Radv, there are a number of fly by night companies that post and set up auctions for a quick buck, stick around a while and fall. That idea alone just generally negatively impacts the overall perception of quality and reputability of hosting companies seeking sales via this ebay auction method. I hope that helps you put it in perspective.

As previously mentioned, most things associated with selling a service on eBay is negative. Most companies DO try to sell to make quick money, they are very cheap and not at all reliable. There is no security when purchasing webhosting from eBay, and because of this, you should not try to reflect negative aspects on your company by doing so. You should not purchase hosting from eBay either...

radv said:
I would not suggest it. Most people know they are fly by night companies trying to make a quick buck.
I quite agree, and not only that but it also gives your company a bad reputation.

If you ever want to be taken seriously, don't even think eBay. Let the amatuers use it to try and make a quick buck and then, deal with the chargebacks. eBay is good at what it does, but, as a consumer, I wouldn't consider buying anything from ANY company who used it as a selling outlet.

It would be better for your business in the long run to create a good marketing plan and spend your advertising dollars wisely. Remember, there is no free lunch. You might get a quick influx of customers from eBay, but in the end, they're gonna cost you plenty in lost time and revenue.

Think about this for a moment. You are a small business looking for a web host for your business web site. Would YOU go to ebay to find a reliable and stable, web hosting company you can depend on for your business?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1hosting