Vaserv Got Hacked..

Yep and they still have that problem.
That is not a problem clear the account from that trash but that is a problem to get backup. Such stories should remind us how backups are important for us

That is tragic - I wonder what motivates these criminals to destroy others livelihoods. Hackers are the scum of the Internet.

This took me down and although I have backups(Friday was my last) it's still quite overwhelming. I've lost about 70% of shared customers and 50% of VPS customers(I was a partner)

Everyone seems to say this is LX's fault, but I'm not so sure. How do you know Vaserv didn't just say "we updated" to keep the pitchforks at bay? Regardless of who's to blame, I'm now looking for a new provider and the strength to go through the hundreds of Paypal disputes I've got from my customers.

I take 1 %*&ing day off for my birthdays and look what happens!

This took me down and although I have backups(Friday was my last) it's still quite overwhelming. I've lost about 70% of shared customers and 50% of VPS customers(I was a partner)

Everyone seems to say this is LX's fault, but I'm not so sure. How do you know Vaserv didn't just say "we updated" to keep the pitchforks at bay? Regardless of who's to blame, I'm now looking for a new provider and the strength to go through the hundreds of Paypal disputes I've got from my customers.

I take 1 %*&ing day off for my birthdays and look what happens!
For sure, it's created a mess. I wish you the best siforek.

I'd never heard of them either. Pretty crazy stuff. Fingers crossed for you to get things back up and running. Too bad your customers are bailing so quickly and jumping ship :( Is the host going to issue a refund (or at least a partial refund) that you may be able to pass along to your customers and hopefully be able to keep them as clients?

The latest news..
The hacker showed up over at WHT for a minute. He posted a pretty long description of what he had done and also indicated that not only were the admin password(s) excessively used, but also very easy to crack. He also had/has full access to their billing/support system and indicated he had CCs and intended to sell all customer emails to spammers.

This does not negate the fact that there was/is a vulnerability in HyperVM that allows any valid VM user to use the exploit. So to all with HyperVM, secure your stuff ASAP!

This is a HUGE mess. A developer is dead and thousands of sites offline. In the aftermath I think the way things are handled from now on will indicate pass or fail for many businesses.

How'd they get so popular?
The wonders of hosting communities, and a focus on low pricing I think. The owner has had some successful hosting ventures in the past too, and that helps as well.

I think the way things are handled from now on will indicate pass or fail for many businesses.
I'm afraid so. :(

Since WHT has been deleting the post over and over again (not sure why they're wanting to cover it up), I did get a link to what was going on;

http://pastebay.com/21028

NOTE: Admins remove if you believe this link to be a compromise of systems etc

Basically according to the hacker (who provides pretty detailed stuff on what they did), they did not exploit HyperVM or any ZeroDay Exploit - it was malpractice on the part of the company. They excessively used the same passwords on multiple machines. The hackers then hacked their billing system, pulled all client information (emails, credit cards etc) and went to town. They claim to have been monitoring things for almost 2 months.

The latest numbers I've seen is that 1800 VPS accounts were hacked, and a large portion of them were deleted. Sadly limited backups were done, and many people are stuck reloading backups from weeks and/or months ago if they're lucky.

Crazy stuff going on, and the company is going to lose their shirt in this (1 month free hosting to all customers, and 2 months for anyone who lost data). Still lots of people mad about this whole thing, and for that matter many people moving to other hosts. We've had a couple of people come to us already for VPS because of this.