VBulletin or PHPBB 3

andy-247web

Both seem very good.
and i have run loads of forums myself and i have always used PHPBB 3,
I know you need to pay for Vbulletin but in terms of useabliaty and reliability is it better than PHPBB 3?

Cheers
Andy.

I have nothing bad to say about PHPBB. I've tried their latest release and really liked the moderator/admin and user backends - totally redesigned with ease of use in mind. However, I think that vBulleting just has a lot more muscle to have a more robust solution.

I generally recommend SMF but I haven't used phpBB3 yet. I'll have to have a look at it.

I prefer YaBB above all forum softwares because of the simplicity in the admin panel especially. It is a simple forum software with a nice sleek design, and its easily customisable too.

SMF would be my second choice because of the cool design it has, but its not as user-friendly; when you create new topics it redirects you to the relevant forum - I know this feature can be turned off but it is highly distracting most times.

Free place? SMF, then phpbb and that is it. I see no reason why anyone would use VB if you have no real way to pay for it other than out of pocket. If the site can support itself and everyone on the site wants VB then fine, but no need to spend money when you really have no reason to.

The 2 you mention Ive only used fleetingly.
I use Mybb for all my customers forum builds now. I think though at the end of the days its just what you get comfortable with as a site builder/designer.

Use PHPbb if you are on a budget, but if you plan on hosting a big forum I would suggest spending some money and get Vbulletin.

I've had experience with:

Proboards
vBulletin (way back to version 2)
PHPBB
IPBfree
InvisionFree

But overall I would say (If you can afford it), go with vBulletin. The reason why I'd say go with vBulletin is because they have such good add-ons and a good tech support. I'm friends with one of the guys who is very close with the administrators of vBulletin (and he's a coder himself), so in that sense you benefit both ways. But if you're looking for a free host, go with IPBFree. It's very similar to InvisionFree but it has more to it, and a good support base as well. I'm using IPBFree currently.

I've used both, and vBulletin is more powerful for larger sites. It also seems to be liked a lot more by google. Seems the spiders go through vbulletin without much issue.

You'll find very few LARGE forums running on anything other than vBulletin. It's a very stable product, but the renewal price every year gets annoying when you're running a FREE forum with no means of generating revenue through it.

vBulletin is more powerful and it's so easier than to installing a hack! I recommend you to using vb

It looks like vBulletin is the one to go with...

I guess it also just depends on what you want to do on your site as well too. If you just want a plain discussion forum, then just go with PHPbb or a free-bee, but like I said, it depends on what you want to do with your site.

Vbulletin is good for business websites however phpbb is really popular I Love Phpbb but I think Vb takes the cake by a slim margin.