Hi guys

Virtual Server Vs Server
For selling web hosting

1.Good stuff

2.Bead stuff

3.Extra

4.Your experiences

Thanks

A VPS and a Dedicated Server are two different things, i mean you pick one depending upon various criteria like your costs, hosting needs and requirements.

If you wish to compare a VPS and Reseller, thats still understandeable but comparing a VPS with Dedicated seems little odd. Anyways, i'll post some info. that may be worth consideration.

A Dedicated Server is a server alloted to you and you or your hosting has complete control. A VPS is virtually the same but for smaller portion and also RAM is the concern. VPS isn't easy to make. Many companies providing VPS do not have that good record of making virtual servers. Unless VPS is from an experienced (experience of making virtual servers) co., its gonna give you problems. But cost wise a VPS from good co. may be more of less similar priced to a dedicated (Celeron, Pentium3) from a lesser known co. or DC.

Again if you are starting, you may consider VPS, but if you are thinking long term, you'll need a dedicated server.

Like bandboy said. Unless you go with a really experienced VPS provider its going to be nothing but headaches for you. I am a big fan of stable VPS's. There is nothing a Dedicated can do that a cluster of VPSs cant do.
:mic:

Dedicated server will personally be my choice compared to a VPS as it has a lot of user options and it can also be managed through the service provider which adds too many of its plus points.

As far as I know dedicated server and virtual server in general is the same. But virual server mean that there are few others virtual servers on the same phisical server.

If you are taking a VPS from a reliable source, it is as good as a cheap dedicated server. Do not fall into the chepest offers, BTW. For me VPS/Dedicated is a question of budget and server resources needed. If I need to host only few medium webistes say up to 250 GB per month, VPS is a good choice.

This is kind of a surreal thread. There's a lot of bad info in here.

First, some clarification. A dedicated server is an actual physical machine that you have total control over (that desktop sitting at home could be a dedicated server, for example). The provider loads the OS for you (and perhaps a control panel if you've purchased one), plugs it in to power and the Internet and then walks away.

A VPS (Virtual Private Server also known as a virtual server, or virtual dedicated server), is...as the word 'virtual' implies...not a real machine. It is a separate environment on a dedicated machine that looks and acts like a dedicated box. The main difference is that there are typically lots of VPSes on a single dedicated server and all of those VPSes are sharing the RAM, disk, and CPU power of the dedicated box. If you've ever had the opportunity to play with VMWare then you'll be familiar with a VPS. Same thing.

So, now onto my points:

@bandboy: Comparing a dedicated and VPS makes perfect sense. They are both represented as being generally equivalent by most providers, yet VPSes are generally quite a bit cheaper. Comparing the benefits and drawbacks of each makes sense.

Comparing a VPS and a reseller is what makes no sense. 'Reseller' is a type of account granted to you by a provider where you are allowed to further subdivide whatever resources you've been given for resale to others. A VPS, by contrast, is a server configuration. A 'reseller' account can be provisioned on a dedicated server, a VPS, or even a shared web hosting account. The two are not mutually exclusive and have no comparison points.

@Mabus: Clustering VPSes cannot do the same things as a single dedicated. A single dedicated server has access too 100% of its CPU, RAM, and disk space at any given time. A VPS does not (unless it is a single VPS that has been allocated all of the resources of the dedicated box it is running on....and then, what's the point of the VPS?).

I'm curious what tasks you would cluster amongst VPSes, anyhow?

@Tailaa: You recommend a dedicated over a VPS because "as it has a lot of user options and it can also be managed through the service provider". You are probably referring to a control panel of some sort which can be installed just as easily on a dedicated box as in a VPS. The presence of options or management is not a function of the server configuration, it is a function of what your provider gives you.

So back to the original poster's question:

You mention that you want to sell web hosting. That's what I do and, I wouldn't run a VPS for any of my production servers. They're all dedicated boxes simply because I need lots of disk space and I need to know I have all of the CPU power. If one of my boxes gets slow, I know I can look at the resources and upgrade whatever it is that's slowing it down. If I'm running a VPS, I may not have the option to upgrade the CPU slice or disk space or RAM because those resources may already have been committed to other VPSes on the server.

Disk space it a big issue for me, too. You'll notice that move VPS plans have less than 40GB of disk space whereas even the cheapest dedicated box usually starts at 80GB. A server with only 50-80GB of disk space is useless to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikstrahost