VPS, Dedicated, or what?

HostHag

I have been thinking of starting a social networking site for a while now. The thing is, I plan on advertising heavily in the beginning, so I will need a server that can handle that. I am looking for a server that can handle at least 15,000 uniques a day just in case. Then if I get more from there I can see what my options are. I feel like I know a decent amount about hosting, but there are a lot of factors here.

Thanks

Looking at your requirements , I would suggest you to go for a middle configuration dedicated server which has got the capability of upgradation later.

However you will also need to evaluate your other requirements such as bandwidth

Seems to be like a cloud hosting account would give you some flexibility to only pay for what you use/need, in the early days of your site. Not that I can recommend a specific company.

I would recommend a cloud VPS or dedicated server. Choose the cloud and you can upgrade/downgrade on the fly and with dedicated, you get ultimate power so it's a win-win situation :).

HostHag,

If you're in this for the long hall I would recommend ordering your own dedicated server and colocate with a company. So basically, you would just stick your server/hardware on that companies network and won't have to be stuck paying $150+ a month for a server. 1U will run you roughly between $45-65 a month depending on how much bandwidth you need. I wouldn't go with VPS because it's usually shared and you'll have a neighbor and some companies tend to not really care about load balancing. Let me know if you have any further questions.

You can try for a Cloud server with good amount of resources initially and check if the server can handle the load. If not then upgrading onto a Dedicated server will be the only option.

Thanks for all of the input. I think I am going to go with a company that has VPS and dedicated, so I can upgrade if need be. Cheers

Aim2, I think it's too expensive for what you said...a VPS is fine.

Delgado,

It really depends on what you're trying to do. I look at things differently than others. I generally go for performance, not a very big fan of having a neighbor sucking resources if I'm trying to run something important. Yes, I do understand that you should utilize your hardware to the fullest but some companies just don't know when to stop thus having latency issues and running into other problems.

Most web hosts will force you to upgrade or whine with that kinda traffic. I recommend at least a VPS and possibly a dedicated server.

I have been thinking of starting a social networking site for a while now. The thing is, I plan on advertising heavily in the beginning, so I will need a server that can handle that. I am looking for a server that can handle at least 15,000 uniques a day just in case. Then if I get more from there I can see what my options are. I feel like I know a decent amount about hosting, but there are a lot of factors here.

Thanks

I suggest you take a heavy unmanaged VPS (€50-75). It should be capable of handling 15.000 unique visitors a day and it is a lot cheaper than a dedicated server. The advantage of a VPS is that you can downgrade as you expect to have many visits in the beginning and less after a while. Once your concepts start running you can upgrade your vps again to accommodate for the growing number of visitors.

Honestly you may consider going with an VDS/CLOUD solution where you can build any size specification, start from medium level and grow up up to high level within your growth.

That's ideal option in my opinion...