VPS or Dedicated --Which one to go for?

bandboy

This is a tricky situation. Finances is not a problem. Needs can be satisfied with VPS as well. Will it still be advisable to go for a dedicated server? If so, why? If not, then would small dedicated servers outclass equivalent VPS servers? I saw one of the hosts selling dedicated servers with 20Gb space and appropriate bandwidth. Don't remember their name but it gave me impression that small dedicated servers equivalent to VPS do exist. Correct me, if i am wrong.

If money is not a problem, then go for a dedicated server, with RAID setup, redundant NICs and PSUs

The VPS is a nice solution, as most of the times the hardware is top-notch so you get some sort of redundancy, but remember the VPS are still sharing the same server, so the disks (I/O) are shared, etc.

Regards,

It depends. If you're going to go for a low end dedicated, I would just get a high end VPS. It would probably perform better than the low end dedicated since the low end's hardware wouldn't compare to the hardware the VPS is sharing. If you're going to get a high end dedicated, then go for it. :)

I agree with the guys above. High end Dedicated, if you can afford the costs for it. VPS isn't bad, but it all really comes down to WHAT your hosting. If it's a large forum or website and you have TONS of traffic, then obviously high end dedicated. Also look at the future, will you be needing a high end server soon? If so, it's better to get it now or atleast plan for it.

I always and usually go for the high end stuff, since the low end is always crap! They user lower quality parts, everything is just so... LOW end :p trust me, getting a high end server you'll be loving it. The speed and flexability, it's all very nice in the end.

VPS - A mini server account (like shared hosting) on a big server.
Dedicated server - Your own machine

Small sites that need special settings are better off on a dedicated server, but if you are hosting big forums such as this you will need a dedicated server, or more than 1 linked together.

Go dedicated

The only thing I can see good bout vps is it is a bit cheaper than dedicated but you are also sharing the servers' resources among however many VPS accounts on it and each having who knows how many accounts on those.

If a VPS server is properly managed, you'll rarely have problems with one. I/O is usually not much of a concern if the provider manages it properly, and has quick disks and RAID10 on it.

Just like shared hosting, if a client abuses resources, they can be easily tracked down and suspended.

What I recommend for you is to go with a VPS for now. Although finances aren't a problem - go with something that's relatively easier to manage, and something you would get much more support with without management. With VPS, you also have the option of managing it through a web based control panel - which you don't always get with a dedicated server. Many providers like myself have either a RAID 5, or RAID 10 setup to provide full mirroring of the data. Also, I agree that you get much better resource sharing on a VPS - than with some Pentium 3 dedicated server somewhere else. I hope that helps a bit, and if you need anything else feel free to shoot me an email at jfasone(at)steadcom.com

The bottom line is: if you don't need a dedicated server, you should go with a VPS, especially if you've never worked with either. A good managed VPS can be a good learning experience, and can sometimes have more "safety nets" than a decently priced dedicated server. Such as: a rescule console, free OS reboots and reloads. More importantly, if you outgrow your space quickly, the upgrades on a VPS are a bit easier than a dedicated server.

We did a good deal of investigating and decided on a dedicated server from LiquidWeb. Their support has been top notch, and server has been very stable.

A dedicated is lot better than a VPS- You will be the only one connecting to 10mbps or 100 mbps port you have. Faster loading during peak time. Also the reliabilioty issue comes. If you select a VPS, make sure that the server is on RAID.

vps for starting will be fine. and upgrade once only you need it.

look for hosting that will do all the upgrade work for you.
sample is hostgator. the semi dedicated is the vps. and you can upgrade to dedicated when there is need.

sample is hostgator. the semi dedicated is the vps.
The semidedicated (with mosts hosts actually) is one large shared hosting account that shares the server with a limited number of similar accounts, effectively resulting in more computing power per account compared to regular shared hosting. It is not a VPS though.

Hi,
If financial problem is not there then i think one should go for Dedicared server anytime, as nothing can compare it. In This the whole server belongs to you and thus you can use the resources of your server according to your rquirement.

Thanx.

VPS will definitely be much more easier to use and worry-free (in most cases), since you dont have to worry about alot of things - backups, uptime, hardware,etc. And also at affordable rates - managed or unmanaged. Easier reloads, Better OS options, and a lot more "free" customization options.

Regards

go for dedicated its better...buy a serve and controll by yourself is best , once buy one has to run for long time changing will be problem.... moving data and some special setup... so to avoid this problem i m suggesting dedicated server

Hi,
If financial problem is not there then i think one should go for Dedicared server anytime, as nothing can compare it. In This the whole server belongs to you and thus you can use the resources of your server according to your rquirement.

Thanx.

How is the journey coming along for you? did you finally select the one you want? I suggest to go with dedicated.

Last edited: