VPS vs Dedicated Server Performance in real time

engineerroy2008

Hi,

Any one of you have both in working for your company, can any one give the details in their own experience comparing the performance of this VPS and a dedicated server?

Comparing VPS to a Dedicated Server is like comparing socks to shoes (in my opinion).

Much of the comparison is going to depend on the specs of the hardware, what type of processes are being run, and at the end of the day, how much money is being spent.

If you need a shell environment with root access to compile apache or additional software and don't need much power, then a VPS is ideal. Usually with VPS systems you are sharing the system with 8-20 other people. So you only get a portion of the system resources. You usually get a small arount of memory (which can BURST to larger amounts if nobody else is using the memory at the time).

On a dedicated server, you get FULL access to everything. Again, depending on the money spent you can get a dedicated server that is actually weaker than a VPS. Don't buy an Old 1.2Ghz Celeron with 512MB RAM unless that's all you need. The $50-80 is hardly worth it.

For about $200 you can pick up a quadcore xeon with 2GB of ram and large disk space, but again, do you need that much power? If not, then a VPS might be the route to go.

VPS and Dedicated are two very different environments due to how the process and specs are setup. It would be no different than comparing Shared Hosting with VPS in many instances.

Comparing VPS to a Dedicated Server is like comparing socks to shoes (in my opinion).

Yes in my opinion also but there are lot of persons still saying that VPS beats dedi servers, so i asked for this thread.

Much of the comparison is going to depend on the specs of the hardware, what type of processes are being run, and at the end of the day, how much money is being spent.

This is also true but lets take a specific case and think over it instead of saying generic terms

If you need a shell environment with root access to compile apache or additional software and don't need much power, then a VPS is ideal. Usually with VPS systems you are sharing the system with 8-20 other people. So you only get a portion of the system resources. You usually get a small arount of memory (which can BURST to larger amounts if nobody else is using the memory at the time).

On a dedicated server, you get FULL access to everything. Again, depending on the money spent you can get a dedicated server that is actually weaker than a VPS. Don't buy an Old 1.2Ghz Celeron with 512MB RAM unless that's all you need. The $50-80 is hardly worth it.

This things are too general and i know this stuff what i need is performance stuff, anything to say on that ? Comparing the VPS and dedi any link, material or other things?

For about $200 you can pick up a quadcore xeon with 2GB of ram and large disk space, but again, do you need that much power? If not, then a VPS might be the route to go.

VPS and Dedicated are two very different environments due to how the process and specs are setup. It would be no different than comparing Shared Hosting with VPS in many instances.

Most of the things i want to know is for a standard specs which will perform better a vps or a dedi

Part of the problem is there is no STANDARD VPS or standard dedicated server. You must first provide specs in order to compare them. It's like saying why is a full size car better than a sedan. You can only base on generics as no information has been provided on the details.

Here's an example;

MOST of our VPS servers run Quad Core Intels with 16GB of RAM, Two 1TB SCSI drives, and a maximum of 16 VPS environments. Each VPS package we offer however has different specs (some with 256MB memory, others with 1GB memory). So lets look at the middle being 512MB memory with 1GB burst.

This setup WILL outperform an Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz with 512MB ram. It will likely outperform that of a P4 2.4ghz with 1GB ram also, but it depends on the circumstances that it's being used in.

If you are running heavy MySQL traffic, then you want more memory, and for that 1GB guaranteed through the P4 2.4 is better than a VPS with only burstable amounts.

If you are running a forum for example, maybe the 512MB is all you need on a standard basis, and it's the serving of the files that needs to be quicker - in which case the Dual SCSI drives will work much better.

It's all about needs and specs. If you can give me more details on what it is that you're trying to compare and for what needs, I can better nail down which I'd personally go with. Without the knowledge of what it is you're trying to do, and under what constraints (including money), there's no way to compare the two.

Note that while we may have 16GB ram in our servers, other companies may only have 4, or may be 32GB. We have a limit of 16 VPS environments, but may only use 7 due to customer requirements. Other companies may have 50 VPS environements. You really can't make a general comparison without knowledge of specs required and what it is you're comparing.

It depends what you wanna use the VPS / SERVER for? I mean if it is going to use alot of resources.. you may aswell forget about VPS :)

It depends what you wanna use the VPS / SERVER for? I mean if it is going to use alot of resources.. you may aswell forget about VPS :)

That would really depend on how the web hosting provider that provides the VPS's has things setup and you would have to further define "a lot of resources" for that to be a valid point.

We host some pretty active VPS's and have for some time. They've never had an issue with resources and they continue to speak highly of our service. Most of them are on 512MB and 768MB VPS's as well, so it really depends on configuration.

You can optimize a VPS just as you can optimize a Dedicated Server. How well it's optimized will depend on how well it will perform.

They are hard to compare because it really depends on what your needs are and who your providers are. If you are using a non-oversold VPS by a high quality host then you shouldn't really notice any differences to a low end dedicated box

To compare this you have to buy them both and host the same site in this two and analyse, but that wont be reliable if one of the providers are not goodl

Hard to compare this two, for smaller sites go for good vps

A VPS is private shared environment where you sharing it with some other people which may affect you - unless there are CPU/memory restrictions. As for a dedicated server it is all yours and yours alone.

A VPS is private shared environment where you sharing it with some other people which may affect you - unless there are CPU/memory restrictions. As for a dedicated server it is all yours and yours alone.

As VPS is still hosted on a shared server, do we need to worry about bad neighbour? The WordPress injection hacks for example, can hurt other websites that hosted on the same server (but different shared hosting account); do we have such worry with VPS hosting (as they are hosted on the same hardware but different software)?

No, you'll not need to worry about script injections from other sites. The KERNEL is shared (the main part to run the operating system), and the Memory & CPU are shared (along with hard drives), but beyond that, they're very much a separate environment. The only way that someone from another VPS Accounton the same machince could hack/deface your VPS Account would be if they gained ROOT access to the server at which point EVERYONE is vulnerable.

What handsonhosting said is true, they would need root access to the whole server, but I still think getting a Dedi is better than a VPS. But, it all comes down to budget. If your budget is low, get a VPS; if it is high, get a Dedicated server.

I think to do a comparison in real time, lab testing would be necessary. What's the ROI of that testing - probably negligible. They're very different platforms with diverse user bases. Price is the primary consideration in picking one versus the other, followed by functionality.

No, you'll not need to worry about script injections from other sites. The KERNEL is shared (the main part to run the operating system), and the Memory & CPU are shared (along with hard drives), but beyond that, they're very much a separate environment. The only way that someone from another VPS Accounton the same machince could hack/deface your VPS Account would be if they gained ROOT access to the server at which point EVERYONE is vulnerable.

Thanks for your explanation, it clears things up for me.

(by the way, I often mixed up your nick name as 'Handsome Hosting' instead of 'Hands On Hosting') :)

High end VPS can be more powerfull than a low ends dedicated servers, just to be sure your host don't oversell the VPS ressource, try to find quality before cheapest price.

A dedicated server will outperform a VPS with the same specs (same memory, same CPU's, same disks). It may only outperform by 3% depending on the technology (Virtuozzo is fastest, Xen a bit slower on diskIO), but dedicated is *always* faster on the same hardware.

A dedicated server will also cost about 2-4 times as much.

So take your pick. Do you need that 3%?

After you make that choice, then you can start shopping around.

That is a very good comparison. I always go for dedicated servers because it gives me a lot of freedom. Freedom in whatever I do. You are also right about choosing a dedicated server. We have to buy a server which is based on our requirements.

<<MOD NOTE: Signatures must be setup through User Panel and not manually added to posts.>>

From my experience, if the dedicated resources are the same than VPS may perform better. Let me explain.

You CAN have resources dedicated with a VPS just as with a Dedicated server. With a VPS(depending on the setup) many identical processes can be shared between VPS.. Then you have the possibility of burst, and drives that are already raided(if your vps provider doesn't raid then you're in trouble!).

But as others have mentioned, it's simply best to choose what's best for whatever you're using it for. Although my business promotes the use of VPS, there's obviously many times when dedicated is best.

That is true for the most part. However, if another VPS on the host server is compromised and launches a DoS attack that uses the NIC in it's entirety, that would most definitely have a negative impact on your VPS. We've had it happen once or twice and it wreaks havoc until the IDS can kick in and let us know what's going on. In addition, if the VPS Host Server itself is compromised, there's a good chance you can say goodbye to all the VM accounts. Now that would suck. :help: