Wanting to try making my own cloud

fkasmani

Hello,

I'm wanting to give a try at making my own cloud using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.

I'm thus looking for an inexpensive service where I could install UEC and some open source tools - (I'd deffinately need KVM service).
Would a VPS work good for this 'project'?
Any suggestions where I could get an inexpensive VPS service wich would give me about 1GB RAM, good processing speeds, etc..

Hosting a "Cloud" on a VPS kind of defeats the purpose of a cloud...

In general, clouds consist of multiple pieces of hardware (Storage, Computing, Networking) that are able to failover in the event of a failure.

What are you looking to achieve with Ubuntu on a VPS? Maybe we can point you in the right direction from there...

You need 2 - 10 Dedicated Servers or more. There are several projects I would look at. Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, Openstack, and OpenNebula. If you want to pay for a cloud onapp is whatever one seems to be using.

what you need is the following 1) a controller server - 2) a couple of Hypervisor servers 3) some sort of network storage.

oh, I see.

Well I was obviously mis-understanding things - I read an article, "Roll Your Own Ubuntu Private Cloud" and I was trying to see if I could implement something like this for local companies to use, as a data backup and disaster recovery system. Actually I was trying to see if I could re-sell colocation services to them based on this method.

Your best bet is to try stuff out and see if it works as you've expected. I would start by setting up a small cluster in Virtualbox or VMware player. You'll get a good Idea of what some of these softwares are capable of and see if it's a good fit for what you want to offer.

In general a cloud is setup on dedicated hardware but the term "Cloud computing" refers to on demand resources that are scalable and can be setup on a cluster of VMs if you choose. It really depends on what works for what you are offering.

Try and think "Remotely hosted resources with DR and failover potential". Cloud in itself will work with any platform or architecture you put it on, really. That's because cloud refers to the relationship between client and resource location. If it's hosted remotely, it's cloud. So in reality we've been offering "cloud" services for decades.

UEC will work just fine, but you'll have difficulty competing with other cloud hosting companies that can offer DR in multiple datacenters across the world, at least across the US, on dedicated servers with rock solid hardware. But for starting up I don't see a problem with that. You've got to start somewhere!

Good Luck with your endeavor.

openstack and OpenNode

oh, I see.

Well I was obviously mis-understanding things - I read an article, "Roll Your Own Ubuntu Private Cloud" and I was trying to see if I could implement something like this for local companies to use, as a data backup and disaster recovery system. Actually I was trying to see if I could re-sell colocation services to them based on this method.

You should take a look at openstack and OpenNode.

Why you dont buy VMWare ESX ? That is be a good solution for any IT cloud. It can support HA and V-motion. I have a ESX plus and it is working very well in a X5650 server

You actually cannot host a cloud or have a virtual environment on a VPS because it's already part of another. Setting up a cloud requires extensive experience skills and ;)

Okay

using ubuntu and eucalyptus.

You will need 4 servers 1 master server a 1gigabit router and switch

Follow the steps on ubuntu's website and you should have a cloud.

Have a look at DedicatedNOW's private cloud service. They got a nice full featured OnApp cloud setup for somewhere around $1000. Seems like it's something that they've been boasting on their Twitter and FB pages.

If you are still looking for a hypervisor I STRONGLY recommend VMWare. We use VMWare exclusively in our data center and we love it. VMWare is really amazing software.

VMWare might be overkill if you are just looking to try out a cloud deployment but if you are looking at doing this stuff long term it is well worth the upfront investment (both time and money wise) to get to know VMWare.

I'm actually looking at setting up a remote-PC. Have no software or data stored on my local PC, but everytime I put on my PC, I'd just connect to a VPS/Dedicated server/Colocated server which would be a complete running system and house all apps like OpenOffice that I need along with all my data and use that system remotely. Same way that long ago I used an email client and had to download my email and if anything went wrong I'd lose everything, so now I use Gmail. The only difference would be with Gmail I'm using someone else's service. Now I want to setup a complete system of my own which would have my email client, Open office, etc.. and even store all my data. In short I'd be using a computer remotely.

Hello,

I'm wanting to give a try at making my own cloud using Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.

I'm thus looking for an inexpensive service where I could install UEC and some open source tools - (I'd deffinately need KVM service).
Would a VPS work good for this 'project'?
Any suggestions where I could get an inexpensive VPS service wich would give me about 1GB RAM, good processing speeds, etc..

Virtualization inside virtualiztion? LOL. You need dedicated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sus123