Watching for Expired Domains

Chris_13

I am looking at a few Domain names that I would really like to have. Is there a way to research into the name and see when it expires? If there is a chance to get these I want to be able to grab it. How would I be able to find out? Is it possible at all?

Thanks
Chris

Do a whois search on the domain name. It will tell you the register date and expiry date.
http://centralops.net/co/DomainDossier.aspx

You can use one of many online services to "bid" on a name if it should expire.
If it's a very good name chances are it will be renewed by the owner or there will already be people bidding on it.

Blue,

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to check it out and make up a spreadsheet to track everything so I can find out ahead of time and keep a closer eye out for them. You are probably right that they will be renewed but if I can get there before any bidding starts that will be a big help.

Chris

Thanks for all of the great info. Unfortunately 2 I had my eye on have been renewed but still looking at a few more. These are all great tools and have made it MUCH easier to keep tabs on them.

Chris

Check out the website

See if the domain has a site set up and take a look around. If it hasn't been updated in a long time, you have a better chance of picking it up. If it is pretty active and is being updated regularly, the owner will most likely be renewing the domain.

Its fairly hard to get your hands on an already renewed domain if the site is active or the name is attractive. Normally after a domain name expires, the registrar will usually keep it for 30-90 days before they delete the domain.

Good luck!

Doing a whois check on when the domain expires is a good start, and from then you can note when the domain will become available. If its one of the domains you MUST have then I would suggest backordering it with pool, snapnames (and so on) to ensure you get the name. Otherwise, if you dont think there will be much competition for the name, wait until it drops and hand-register it yourself. :D