Web Host Migration

The biggest issue I have faced is transfering their website in a good timely manner, some clients used to use free hosting so the download speed on their server can be so slow, it can dramatically slow down the process. Plus if they are using magento it can really slow down the process because some websites can be so huge. Plus the client needs to be responsive.

The biggest issue I have faced is transfering their website in a good timely manner, some clients used to use free hosting so the download speed on their server can be so slow, it can dramatically slow down the process. Plus if they are using magento it can really slow down the process because some websites can be so huge. Plus the client needs to be responsive.
A lot of free host make it hard for you to move website away from them as they want you to stay and pay for addons

What are the common issues which are encountered in web host migration?

Here are some specific issues I've encountered:
  • Large DB migrations (export/import, dump sync, etc) can be time consuming, which leads to stale data issues post migration.
  • The little settings that need to be made manually to config files (db host connection settings, changed passwords if any, project path changes, etc)
  • Custom compiled libraries that need to be built again from source. This can bite especially when it isn't a documented step
  • Split brain DNS / traffic issues that aren't detected immediately

The only issue you can encounter is the dns propagation, you will have to wait and customers will start complaining and you will have to deal with tickets

1. I uploaded my website, but I still see a “Coming Soon” page

2.The changes to my website aren’t displaying!

3. My website was up, and now it’s down!

4. My website doesn’t display any of my images

5. My website’s layout looks completely wrong

1. I uploaded my website, but I still see a “Coming Soon” page

2.The changes to my website aren’t displaying!

3. My website was up, and now it’s down!

4. My website doesn’t display any of my images

5. My website’s layout looks completely wrong

The “Coming Soon” page will be an index.htm/html file which overrides anything else, so you need to either remove this file or change its name to something like index.html.old, this then should get your website displayed

-Difficulty of Use
-DIY state of migration
-phpMyAdmin Timing Out while Exporting/Importing a Database
-Handling WordPress Configuration after migration

-Data is incomplete/ wrongly manipulated while cloning
-Internal Server Problems with File Permissions

-your website may not display all the images.
-even if you migrate your website you'ill get coming soon page
thats the major issues you face while migrating a website.

Depending on the platform you choose to run your website on, common problems may arise. It is typically simple to perform the migration on your own if you have cPanel, however it can be more difficult if you have WordPress.
Think about some typical problems:
Usefulness and Do-It-Yourself state of migration
-Exporting/Importing a Database in phpMyAdmin times out -Managing WordPress configuration after migration
Data is incorrectly altered or incomplete after cloning. Internal server permissions issues.
If you are unable to do the migration yourself, always have a skilled backup plan in place. If not, it will take hours to restore everything to normal.

During web host migration, several common issues can arise. One of the most prevalent challenges is downtime, where the website may become inaccessible to users during the transition. This can result from misconfigured DNS settings or delays in domain propagation. Another issue is data loss or corruption, which can occur if files or databases are not properly transferred or if there are compatibility issues between the old and new hosting environments.

To give an example, my WEB software was working in cPanel, but not in plesk panel. and i couldn't solve this problem :D

You would get more privileges with a VPS than a shared plan.
With a VPS you get root access to the servers, which enables you to install applications of your choice.

Common web host migration issues include:
  • Downtime: Your website may be inaccessible during the transfer process.
  • Data Loss: Accurate backups are crucial to prevent losing important files.
  • DNS Delays: New domain name server settings can take time to propagate globally, potentially causing temporary website inaccessibility.
  • Compatibility Issues: Ensure your website and applications function correctly on the new server's environment.