Web Hosting Wiki

GnomeyNewt

I noticed WHT opened up a hosting wiki. It seems like an interesting project, but I'm wondering why they don't credit the authors more? I have attempted to look for the author of a couple of the articles and I can't seem to locate them.

I wonder how successful it will be? Forums seem to be better resource with updated information. I wonder if they will gain enough people to maintain such a wiki.

Wiki’s are pretty popular now days so it should do well and with wht doing it even more likely it will do well. I haven’t looked at it yet but if you say they do not credit the author well that is an improvement that needs to be made.

The Project has been in development for some time however For a forum like WHT and it's genre I do forsee alot of Spam & Slandering on it.

They must credit the author some where? I just can't seem to locate it anywhere.

They will probably require so many posts before being able to publish in the wiki. We shall see!

As long as it's managed I think it could be great and useful but there are some major flaws as well if not.

Me personally, I dont care for them very much only because I can see spaming and such going on...although i havent seen any on any of the wikis ive been to. I am a great fan of a online called wargames2 it at wargames2.net (not advertising..lol) its a really great game and they recently started a wiki and i guess from what i gather they posted a link in the forums and players of the use that link and it will take them to an area where they post all the want. So if i was a disgrunted player then i suppose i could write all i want about them but im not sure if the posts are monitored.

We have had plans for an HD Wiki for quite some time as well, and I have personally spent many many many hours thinking on what it can offer that is unique than a web hosting guide/wiki "next door" so to speak... I could not convince myself that we will be able to beat Wikipedia's content on web hosting. There are however ways to make a Wiki truly unique, and we will consider doing something very specific in future as well.

As far as crediting its authors, a Wiki is a user-generated process of filling space with information. People are contributing out of pure will to share information, not gain publicity. If authors seek more credits, they should think about writing for a blog or write press releases and traditional articles for web hosting directories.

I don't see WHT beating Wikipedia at any point in history.

Best,

I can see some people using a personal wiki for their forums, but honestly.. I don't see what the point is? I barley use wikipedia.com.. so I doubt I'd waste time visiting a local wiki for a forum or website. I think it's a waste of time and resources for WHT, but hey if it works for them and it could, since they are pretty large.

I do not think it is a waste at all. It certainly provides more search engine traction and creates content that grows organically - which is the ONLY way to successfully build any website. The point I was trying to make is that I don't see anyone outdo Wikipedia in any subject, which makes the whole purpose obsolete. WHT, as I see it, do it to generate more traffic and page views they can sell ads on. Its also a very naturally next step for them actually. Very 2.0. :)

ya....putting up a wiki seems to be a natural progression...it will certainly help in increasing their profile....

but does anyone have any proof or stats, which exactly show wiki's improving traffic at all? or even progression for websites?

Harry, no one but insiders usually have that traffic information, but I presume that adding good content to your site which grows organically, the search engines will always recognize it and bring some traffic.

I've noticed at the moment the Wiki is heavily guarded and is well managed but after a year it will be poorly managed.

It is in very initial stage to comment anything about this as still it look unfinished. :cool:

Last edited:
This could be a terrific asset for any forum. A great way to highlight common topics of interest from non personal view and make them easier to find. As for search engine traffic, content is content as long as it is not an exact duplication of the forums- copied and pasted.